Alternative careers with MD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bbas

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is anyone planning on getting the MD but not going into clinical medicine? I was browsing some job listings, and it seems like there are alot of opportunities for MD's that are non-clinical in nature, whether it be working as medical officers for public health agencies, pharmaceutical companies, or HMO's. I guess the logical question to ask would be why someone would go to medical school if they did not want to practice, but I'm just interested in knowing if these types of jobs mainly attract MD burnouts or if people actually choose from day one to stay away from clinical medicine.

Members don't see this ad.

Also people use MD to go into the political game.

bbas said:
Is anyone planning on getting the MD but not going into clinical medicine? I was browsing some job listings, and it seems like there are alot of opportunities for MD's that are non-clinical in nature, whether it be working as medical officers for public health agencies, pharmaceutical companies, or HMO's. I guess the logical question to ask would be why someone would go to medical school if they did not want to practice, but I'm just interested in knowing if these types of jobs mainly attract MD burnouts or if people actually choose from day one to stay away from clinical medicine.

There are 4 major non-clinical areas where MDs can be employed after med school:

1) Finance/Wall street
2) Pharma/Biotech
3) Managed Care/HMOs
4) Management Consulting

Members don't see this ad :)
bbas said:

I work with a medical director at a ~$800M HMO in the SE and he left clinical medicine to get his MBA and get involved in business. I'll have to ask him why he stopped being a clinician.

sgopal2 said:
There are 4 major non-clinical areas where MDs can be employed after med school:

1) Finance/Wall street
2) Pharma/Biotech
3) Managed Care/HMOs
4) Management Consulting

Unless you're self-employed, I don't understand the Finance/Wall street connection. Most firms want a MSM, MSF, or MBA.

The other three are all easy leaps with a MD.