Alternative Careers

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CaffineDoc24

Reaction score
Hi guys, I'm a first-year. Long story short, although I like medicine/the job of being a doc and my classes, I have come to realize the path to get there may be incompatible with solving pre-existing personal issues I have/what I want from my life during those years. I have a health science degree and completed an SMP. I just wanted to know if you guys had any ideas/know of people who left med school for other careers that pay well. I am from a very high cost of living city and the reality is that in order to live in a safe area, save for retirement, and have a family, you need to be making a good amount of money. Not the only reason I went into medicine at all, but this certainly was one of many filters I used when picking a career.

I'm not here to discuss whether I should or shouldn't leave, and at this point, I most likely will stay. I just wanted to know if there are other options out there for people like us who may not have many skills (outside of the sciences) and experience that can apply elsewhere.

Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

If you are interested in computers, programming is always a good option. It will take a while to learn a language well, but generally the skillset required to be a good physician transfers decently well.

Reactions: 1 users
Hi guys, I'm a first-year. Long story short, although I like medicine/the job of being a doc and my classes, I have come to realize the path to get there may be incompatible with solving pre-existing personal issues I have/what I want from my life during those years. I have a health science degree and completed an SMP. I just wanted to know if you guys had any ideas/know of people who left med school for other careers that pay well. I am from a very high cost of living city and the reality is that in order to live in a safe area, save for retirement, and have a family, you need to be making a good amount of money. Not the only reason I went into medicine at all, but this certainly was one of many filters I used when picking a career.

I'm not here to discuss whether I should or shouldn't leave, and at this point, I most likely will stay. I just wanted to know if there are other options out there for people like us who may not have many skills (outside of the sciences) and experience that can apply elsewhere.

Thank you
Teaching

Members don't see this ad :)
My backup is biostat. I'll say if everything backfires on me in life, I'll just orient myself to math so I never feel inferior for not having become a doctor. I wouldn't recommend anything medical tho just because it'll lead to PTSD lol. Also I hear you on your feelings. Life is tough and somehow ppl expect you to roll through but be creative and always have a plan to make yourself happy. Whether it's to stick it out or change paths in time to prevent from wasting money and giving it away to your school for no reason.

fwiw- The first two years of medical school were the worst two years of my life. Good god the number of times I thought about dropping out. In my 3rd year now and I'm glad I didn't, being away from the school and out in a hospital helped tremendously. It was such a miserable grind getting here but I'm glad I stuck through it. Just one bloke's two cents.

Reactions: 2 users
fwiw- The first two years of medical school were the worst two years of my life. Good god the number of times I thought about dropping out. In my 3rd year now and I'm glad I didn't, being away from the school and out in a hospital helped tremendously. It was such a miserable grind getting here but I'm glad I stuck through it. Just one bloke's two cents.

Make that two blokes. And residency continues to get better. Word on the street attending is even more

Make that two blokes. And residency continues to get better. Word on the street attending is even more
Make that three.

On topic - not many skills transfer, tbh. You can get a research gig with your science degree, but the people I know who’ve done that aren’t making good money. Teaching undergrad science isn’t going to pay that well either. Even if you want to change careers, finishing up a medical degree will open up teaching, consulting, pharmaceutical sales, etc. at a much higher pay rate, so finishing your degree is beneficial even if you decide not to go on to residency.

Reactions: 1 user