Alternative Methods (Updated)

lockness

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a middle school student. I make horrible grades. However, I am smart and really love math and science. For the last five years I did not try in school. Not very hard at least. In high school, next year, I'm taking all College Prep classes. I plan on making straight A's. When I do try in school, I do really well. I really, really want to be a surgeon when I'm older. I'm willing to do whatever it takes. I understand that I should've tried harder in previous school years, and I'd do anything to change it. But unfortunately, I can't. I often fear my future. I am wondering, is there any alternative way to learning surgery? Books or online courses? So just in case if I do fail high school, I can still do that when I am older. Thank you for reading.

Members don't see this ad.

Some tough love here: you need to figure out how you can make better grades, not think about alternative ways to learn surgery. If you'd do anything to change it, then go to your teachers for extra help, get tutoring, do whatever you need to do to motivate yourself and find a way to get good grades.

Your middle school grades are not going to affect your ability to get into medical school someday, but establish good study habits now. Don't give yourself the option of "if I do fail high school." Expect better from yourself. If you do well when you try, then you need to try all the time. Don't be passive about your grades - earn the grades you need.

I am a middle school student. I make horrible grades. However, I am smart and really love math and science. For the last five years I did not try in school. Not very hard at least. In high school, next year, I'm taking all College Prep classes. I plan on making straight A's. When I do try in school, I do really well. I really, really want to be a surgeon when I'm older. I'm willing to do whatever it takes. I understand that I should've tried harder in previous school years, and I'd do anything to change it. But unfortunately, I can't. I often fear my future. I am wondering, is there any alternative way to learning surgery? Books or online courses? So just in case if I do fail high school, I can still do that when I am older. Thank you for reading.
This isn't an update. It's just a copy of your previous thread.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
You can't just say you want to get straight As. Everyone wants to get straight As. What are you planning on changing to deal with increasingly difficult, independent work as you progress through your education?

And no. You must finish medical school and your residency. Surgeons are not technicians, you can only learn this through medical school. It is a felony to do it any other way.

Last edited:
Unless you plan to work as a "street surgeon" for gangsters and illegal organ harvest operations there are no alternative methods to schooling. I was really mediocre in middle school and the first half of high-school but managed to pull my **** together enough to get into a good college.

What specifically do you have trouble with in school?

Unless you plan to work as a "street surgeon" for gangsters and illegal organ harvest operations there are no alternative methods to schooling. I was really mediocre in middle school and the first half of high-school but managed to pull my **** together enough to get into a good college.

What specifically do you have trouble with in school?
Sorry for the incredibly late response. In school I have trouble with handing work in on time. And often times I hate other people and classes. This year I had to take music. I hated it so much. Thankfully, 9th grade I can just focus on classes I enjoy and none of that BS.

Sorry for the incredibly late response. In school I have trouble with handing work in on time. And often times I hate other people and classes. This year I had to take music. I hated it so much. Thankfully, 9th grade I can just focus on classes I enjoy and none of that BS.

Based on the attitude you are displaying, I'm not sure you are well suited to the life of a physician. Doctors need to handle things they don't enjoy, do useless paperwork, engage patients on topics they don't care about, work 28 hour shifts where they don't actually do anything, and smile at people they hate. One of the things colleges hope you will learn throughout high school is how to prioritize and succeed in things you don't care about, because that's an important skill (think taxes, changing the filters and fire alarm batteries in your home, dental hygiene when you don't have parents to buy stuff for you).

Consider some introspection about where you what you want to be (a doctor), what you need to get there (good grades, good standardized test scores, good letters of recommendation, extracurriculars where you prioritize others, a good attitude, all of that again in college), and what you need to do to achieve those (I'd start with grades and trying to stay positive, even when you don't want to).

Based on the attitude you are displaying, I'm not sure you are well suited to the life of a physician.
Easy now—climb down off the high horse. This kid is 14. I've never met a 14 year old who is "well suited to the life of a physician."

OP, just try to control what you can control: turn in your assignments on time, try to find some people you like hanging out with instead of focussing on hating other kids, and things will fall into place.

P.S. This is largely in response to your other thread as well. Regarding your plan to become a surgeon without going to medical school, no.