alternative options

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KristenD77

Predent
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
It really upsets me to make this post. My grades are fine nothing amazing but pretty average for dental school. cGPA is ~3.5, BPC~3.56, BPCM ~3.46 (C in a 6 credit math class due to my final being worth so much and being much more challenging than expected makes a big difference) However, I'm not good at standardized test and I've taken the DAT twice now. The first time was a joke because I wasn't serious about it and juggled so much (including my father being temporarily paralyzed) and I really didn't study well for that at all.I only used kaplan and basically ignored the PAT section which yes I highly regret. The second time I studied so hard (while working full time overnight shifts but still, I really busted my ass) & still didn't make a 20 in any section. My AA is an 18, my science is a 19 while my PAT is a 16. I only have one more chance to take the DAT and I will dedicate all summer to it without work but I'm facing the dooming question what else could I do besides dentistry? I considered doing microbiology or something in that field but the career is flooded with animal testing and I don't want to do that. I worked in a nursing department and I honestly didn't like it.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Dental Hygiene. All of my friends that ask me about dentistry and say its too much work/effort to get into school, I tell them to do hygiene because its less school and they make a ton for what they do. Plus you work dental hours and make around 75-100k if you work hard.

Theres no other profession that can honestly beat it. Nursing? OT? PT? PA? NP? all crazy hours or much less pay or not as easy as Hygiene. Its a no brainer for me, If I wasnt willing to put in the work to become a dentist or wasnt able to get into school I would do hygiene hands down. Also much less stress.

Reactions: 1 user
Dental Hygiene. All of my friends that ask me about dentistry and say its too much work/effort to get into school, I tell them to do hygiene because its less school and they make a ton for what they do. Plus you work dental hours and make around 75-100k if you work hard.

Theres no other profession that can honestly beat it. Nursing? OT? PT? PA? NP? all crazy hours or much less pay or not as easy as Hygiene. Its a no brainer for me, If I wasnt willing to put in the work to become a dentist or wasnt able to get into school I would do hygiene hands down. Also much less stress.

Thank you for answering. I know that I'm sounding pessimistic/ difficult by saying this but I have a lot of experience in dentistry and cleaning teeth was always my least favorite part about the profession. Therefore, I just don't think I would be happy with that. :(

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
It really upsets me to make this post. My grades are fine nothing amazing but pretty average for dental school. cGPA is ~3.5, BPC~3.56, BPCM ~3.46 (C in a 6 credit math class due to my final being worth so much and being much more challenging than expected makes a big difference) However, I'm not good at standardized test and I've taken the DAT twice now. The first time was a joke because I wasn't serious about it and juggled so much (including my father being temporarily paralyzed) and I really didn't study well for that at all.I only used kaplan and basically ignored the PAT section which yes I highly regret. The second time I studied so hard (while working full time overnight shifts but still) but I still I really busted my ass & still didn't make a 20 in any section. My AA is an 18, my science is a 19 while my PAT is a 16. I only have one more chance to take the DAT and I will dedicate all summer to it without work but I'm facing the dooming question what else could I do besides dentistry? I considered doing microbiology or something in that field but the career is flooded with animal testing and I don't want to do that. I worked in a nursing department and I honestly didn't like it.

Minor correction: you have three tries before you need to request permission for additional retakes.
You're s/cGPA is good enough for an acceptance, and I'm going to assume you have the background too (shadowing / volunteering / etc).
If the only thing you're lacking is a good DAT score, don't give up! You literally got 80% of the application stuff done. If you're determined, you can certainly do well on the DAT. Aim for at least a 20AA, though the higher the better. I suggest taking a look at the DAT forums for people's score breakdowns and see what helped them. Take notes and study hard.

Best of luck~

Reactions: 2 users
Minor correction: you have three tries before you need to request permission for additional retakes.
You're s/cGPA is good enough for an acceptance, and I'm going to assume you have the background too (shadowing / volunteering / etc).
If the only thing you're lacking is a good DAT score, don't give up! You literally got 80% of the application stuff done. If you're determined, you can certainly do well on the DAT. Aim for at least a 20AA, though the higher the better. I suggest taking a look at the DAT forums for people's score breakdowns and see what helped them. Take notes and study hard.

Best of luck~
Thank you =)

Definitely no need to give up just because of a poor DAT. SDN has a ton of resources available at your disposal for you to get your desired score. Check out the DAT subforum and you'll find a lot of resources available. DAT BootCamp, DAT Destroyers, etc.

What did you use to study for the DAT in the past?

I say stick with it. You may feel discouraged now, but put in the work and get what you want. For now, that would be a 20+ on the DAT. No Kaplan. Yes DAT Bootcamp, Destroyer, etc...

DAT Discussions

Almost every 20+ DAT posted on here generally has the same recommendations regarding test-prep materials. Kaplan was never one of them.

Best of luck,