SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Alternative Paths for Next Year!

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by Kayk, Apr 11, 2007.

1. Kayk

Kayk 5+ Year Member

Nov 21, 2006
    :) I'm not sure if there is already a thread for this but I was looking for an alternative path for next year. I applied for the the next term and have not heard anything back yet so I'm guessing my chances are very very low. I was looking into doing either grad school for a year or into getting a graduate certificate that has approximately 12 credits that need to be completed in 2 years. I plan on applying to DO schools again for 2008, but I am not sure which path to take for 2007. Is there a difference as to wheather I get a certificate or a degree as far as building by application goes? Thanks!!

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. Dr JPH

Dr JPH Banned Banned 10+ Year Member

Feb 4, 2000
    Any Post Bacc programs you are interested in?

Personally I dont think it matters a whole lot what you do with that year unless your application was seriously lacking in a certain area.

Poor MCAT, retake it.

Poor GPA, take some classes to boost it.

Stinky, practice washing.

As long as you use the time wisely. Working as a bartender in the Keys sounds nice for a year but it might not help you in your journey.

Working as a topless bartender in the Keys...far more altruistic and improves your chances!

:thumbup:

4. Jamers

Jamers Sexy Man 10+ Year Member

Dec 6, 2005
    North Carolina

Esp. if you come to the interview topless!!

5. Dr JPH

Dr JPH Banned Banned 10+ Year Member

Feb 4, 2000
    :eek:

:thumbup:

6. scdocusc

scdocusc 2+ Year Member

Nov 12, 2006
    Holla for a dolla!:)

7. fitnessexpert

fitnessexpert Member 5+ Year Member

Nov 5, 2005
    I didn't get in on my first try so I did a grad certificate in Forensic Sciences for fun (man, I am a dork). Also, I work with a temp agency that employs temporary lab techs (try careerbuilders.com). Right now until school starts I am teaching biology labs at a local private college. Just some suggestions. You could also become a food server. GREAT money, little stress. Try not to be discouraged, even though I know it is hard. PM if you want some more suggestions.

8. scdocusc

scdocusc 2+ Year Member

Nov 12, 2006
    I'm in the same situation. Personally, I think that if you do something constructive with your time and advance in a career (whatever it may be). Then you should be ok. All the while improving some in every problem area with your application. If you GPA stinks then take a class, retake the MCAT, or volunteer more or all three together. Personally, I'm doing all three to ensure I'll get interviews. Just do what makes you happy and work hard. Im very against people doing graduate work when you want to be a doctor. So if you are really really interested in a post bacc program then do it.