Quantcast

Alternative paths other than standard residency/practice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chef

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What are some other career paths for MDs who have finished medschool but do not want the traditional residency+practicing medicine?

What unique opportunities are there for:

1. Healthcare/hospital management for MDs?

2. Business/financial sectors, if any (healthcare industry)?

3. international opportunties, or practicing overseas?

michaelrack

All In at the wrong time
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What are some other career paths for MDs who have finished medschool but do not want the traditional residency+practicing medicine?
?

Starbucks barrista

Teach biology or anatomy at a junior college (if you are lucky).

There are lots more career options if you complete residency, but an MD by itself is pretty useless.

physicsnerd42

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've seen a couple of people at my school do consulting (one went to McKinsey a year ago). These spots are hard to get, stressful and work you as hard as a residency. Then again, if you're not a big fan of patients it's a possibility.

There was also a MD/PhD student a few years ago who just took a tenure-track job at a university computational biology department after med school. For that, though, you'd need some serious research experience.

Taurus

Paul Revere of Medicine
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I had MD/PhD classmate who after med school just took a job directing research trials for a small company. You can do that if you don't have to worry about loans.

michaelrack

All In at the wrong time
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
a phD/MD combo (without residency) may give you some options that an MD alone doesn't give- A non-residency trained pure MD isn't going to be able to get a job directing research trials with most companies.