Alternative paths other than standard residency/practice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chef

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
What are some other career paths for MDs who have finished medschool but do not want the traditional residency+practicing medicine?

What unique opportunities are there for:

1. Healthcare/hospital management for MDs?

2. Business/financial sectors, if any (healthcare industry)?

3. international opportunties, or practicing overseas?

Members don't see this ad.

What are some other career paths for MDs who have finished medschool but do not want the traditional residency+practicing medicine?
?

Starbucks barrista

Teach biology or anatomy at a junior college (if you are lucky).

There are lots more career options if you complete residency, but an MD by itself is pretty useless.

I've seen a couple of people at my school do consulting (one went to McKinsey a year ago). These spots are hard to get, stressful and work you as hard as a residency. Then again, if you're not a big fan of patients it's a possibility.

There was also a MD/PhD student a few years ago who just took a tenure-track job at a university computational biology department after med school. For that, though, you'd need some serious research experience.

I had MD/PhD classmate who after med school just took a job directing research trials for a small company. You can do that if you don't have to worry about loans.

a phD/MD combo (without residency) may give you some options that an MD alone doesn't give- A non-residency trained pure MD isn't going to be able to get a job directing research trials with most companies.