MD Am I aiming too high?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bedcat2019

The Pentagon has never been audited | Ball is Life
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello ladies and gentlemen, redacted due to privacy and anonymity. Best!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You should be fine, you look like a great app! Just make sure you’re not applying to too many state heavy schools. And don’t be afraid to add in some more safeties/lower tiers like Wayne, Indiana, MCW, Ohio state, Wright State, KUMC, UConn, VCM, etc. Best of luck!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
deleted! have a good one!

Last edited:
Current List of schools:

Temple
Pitt
Mt. Sinai

Cincinnati
Stanford
Cornell
Keck
Duke
UCSF
J. Hopkins
U. Virginia
Dartmouth
Case Western
Jefferson
Drexel
Miami
Einstein
USF Morsani
Penn State
U. Colorado
UCLA
Vanderbilt
Tulane
Columbia
Boston U
Maryland
Rutgers RWJ
Rutgers NJMS
Utah

Geisinger-Commonwealth
Hofstra

Substitutions of Interest:

Penn (it's in-state should I bother? My stats are significantly under)
Wake Forest
Tufts
U.Central Florida
NYU
UCSD
Arizona Phoenix

Bold schools are schools I'm definitely applying to due to strong connections or I really want to live there.

What's the word on my current list as it stands? I'm worried I'm shooting too high

You're not shooting too high. delete the NK schools if you're not from NJ; ditto U AZ, U UT, and U CO. I can't recommend Penn State.
Yes, add U Penn
Suggest getting in more service to Hispanic communities. Walk the walk.

Reactions: 1 users

Last edited:
The mental health work I'm doing deals strictly with inner city black kids and latinos-- does that count or no because it's my job?
The organization I work for is nationally known as the place that rehabilitates the most difficult clients-- we take kids no one else will.
Thanks very much Goro!
Definitely counts!!!!!!!!!!!!!
You're golden. Add WashU to the list and radiate outwards. Any school is yours.

Reactions: 1 users
Definitely counts!!!!!!!!!!!!!
You're golden. Add WashU to the list and radiate outwards. Any school is yours.
Cool, much love to you for your contribution here!

Penn is a private school. It does not matter if you are in state or out of state. Don't worry too much about your stats being under. Try to do well in your science classes, but your MCAT is very good.

The average GPA and MCAT you are seeing for schools is overall. It is not divided by URM and ORM status. I don't have the chart on hand to show you acceptances based on race and stats, but you should feel confident that you are a very competitive applicant!

deleted! have a good one!

Last edited:
Your list is fine. I'd drop the letter from the State Senator.... that's rather weird.
Take a look at the OOS tuition charged by Colorado before you apply. Don't apply if you couldn't see yourself paying full-tuition if it were the only school that admitted you.

Last edited:
I would never ever add anything political into a medical school application; stay neutral and there are plenty of other choices

Last edited:
I had similar stats/accolades and got interviews at a bunch of schools on your list. You'll be more than fine. FWIW, I got R's from Tufts and Tulane via yield protection I think. The State Senator LOR is really dope, and I reckon it'll make you stand out...

The senator is pretty even keeled and we're on the same page that it would have nothing to do with politics, just speak to my advocacy and personality. For 2 years of my life I worked in the political sphere... that's who I am.
He represents a party affiliation. If you need to brag, carry on but don't kid yourself as to what weight it holds.

I am neutral politically but I have an affiliation with a party for primary purposes. Do NOT ever underestimate, in these times, the importance of being absolutely neutral including, keeping your political affiliations private.

People on this forum know people at the highest levels of the US Government - and you would never know. Because... privacy.

Last edited:
Most medical schools lean left. It is likely a polarizing thing; if your political affiliation is very important to you, it may be worthwhile to include it. However, it's a bit of a risky move. Was it very meaningful to you?

Last edited: