WAMC/Should I retake MCAT?- High GPA, 508 MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

amiller131

Reaction score
GPA: cGPA- 3.941 sGPA- 3.913
MCAT: 508 (c/p: 126 cars: 127 b/bc: 125 p/s: 130)
Residency: Georgia
Race: White female
Undergraduate Institution: South Carolina Honors College

Clinical experience (volunteer and non-volunteer): Medical Assistant- 500 hours; clinical volunteer at free clinic- 100 hours

Research Experience: Research assistant for public health study- 200 hours; Senior Thesis research paper and presentation- 1000 hours; Future hours as full time research assistant in breast cancer lab at Vanderbilt (40 hrs/week)

Shadowing: Shadowing family medicine in Botswana (study abroad)- 100 hours; Shadowing anesthesiology assistant (current) to observe multiple specialties in OR- 70 hours; Shadowing ICU pulmonologist (future hours)- 50 hours

Non-clinical volunteering: Administrative volunteer at free clinic- 75 hours; Volunteer at Family Connection SC (non-profit)- 50 hours; Service committee for pre-health honors society (held and attended events at Walk for Alzheimer’s, Harvest of Hope, and Salvation Army)- 100 hours

Other extracurricular activities:
Study abroad in Botswana (2 months)- I took 3 courses, shadowed in clinics, and organized and held a health exposition for a local village with my peers.
Academics chair for my pre-health honors society- I was in charge of holding study hours for members, growing them professionally by offering headshots, resume workshops, and connecting them to research opportunities. Also oversaw all member’s GPAs and connected them to tutoring or other academic resources if they were struggling.
Dance Team- for my sorority freshman year and dance is a hobby I continued throughout college.
Nanny- Worked for different families all throughout college
Research Assistant- I will be taking my gap year in Nashville, TN working as a research assistant at Vanderbilt University Medical Center in a breast cancer lab.

Honors/Awards: Received a research grant for both my senior thesis and for when I worked as a research assistant on the public health-based project. Also was nominated for the William Muller Outstanding Thesis Award for my senior thesis.

LORS: One from one of my professors in Botswana who got his medical degree from UPenn; Two science professors (physics and OChem); My thesis director who I worked with for both of my research experiences and knows me very personally and wrote me a strong letter

School List:
Medical College of Georgia
Mercer School of Medicine
Medical University of South Carolina
South Carolina School of Medicine Columbia
South Carolina School of Medicine Greenville
Florida State University School of Medicine
University of Florida School of Medicine

Members don't see this ad.

Florida State and U Florida admit very few non residents with a MCAT of 508 and non connection to the state. You could add these schools:
Wake Forest
Virginia Commonwealth
Eastern Virginia
George Washington
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Penn State
Hackensack
Albany
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Oakland Beaumont
Medical College Wisconsin
Rosalind Franklin
TCU

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you! If I have ties to the state and schools through family, would that help? And do you think it would be a good idea to retake my MCAT to make myself more competitive for this cycle?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you! If I have ties to the state and schools through family, would that help? And do you think it would be a good idea to retake my MCAT to make myself more competitive for this cycle?
Unless you are a former resident of Florida or attended undergraduate or graduate school then do not apply to Florida State or U Florida. Florida State matriculated only 2 non residents last year (you will not be one of them this year).

Are you applying this year? Have you submitted your primary yet? Have you restudied yet? Have you registered for a test date? Understand schools are under no obligation to wait for a new MCAT score to review your primary. They might but they don’t have to inorder to make a decision on whether your application should move forward. It might be better to see how this cycle goes and if you aren’t successful consider a retake before next cycle. But only if you are confident you will increase your score ( some schools average multiple test scores).
Good luck.