Am I alright?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jsm458

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm new to the forum and am sure this gets asked all the time but I wanna know how good you guys think my chances are. My gpa is kinda low at 3.4 o and s so I decided to go hard on the DAT. My scores were 23/23/21 AA/TS/PAT. Does my DAT make up for my below average GPA? And what would my chances be at VCU and UNC as a VA resident?

Members don't see this ad.

3.4GPA is just below the average for UNC (3.59) but your DAT is excellent as the average for the 2014 class was 20.4. The only thing is, UNC admits mostly NC residents and as MentalFloss noted, it's highly competitive for OOS students

Reactions: 1 user
Your high DAT helps but i feel like GPA is pretty important too. My GPA and DAT are very similar to yours lol... No interviews yet here :(. I think you should have a shot at getting in somewhere though! Apply a bit more broadly and see what happens. UNC is insanely competitive; I just applied there because I'm on crack and yolo.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I also applied to Pitt, Temple, Kentucky, Louisville, Columbia, Michigan, LECOM, and Rutgers. Do you guys think I'll have a shot at those places?

I also applied to Pitt, Temple, Kentucky, Louisville, Columbia, Michigan, LECOM, and Rutgers. Do you guys think I'll have a shot at those places?
I think Pitt is possibly more forgiving of a lower GPA and likes seeing high DATs. I applied there too. I think we also have a decent chance at Temple. I applied to almost all those places too (not columbia lol). Columbia probably wants a higher GPA but their DAT avg is right around 23.

I read somewhere that Columbia is okay with a lower GPA if the DAT is high so that's why I applied there haha. They value DAT over GPA.

I don't know about 3.4 though but lemme know what happens lol! I don't really want to go to Columbia anyway.

Your high DAT helps but i feel like GPA is pretty important too. My GPA and DAT are very similar to yours lol... No interviews yet here :(. I think you should have a shot at getting in somewhere though! Apply a bit more broadly and see what happens. UNC is insanely competitive; I just applied there because I'm on crack and yolo.
Are you an NC resident? There are a few sub 3.0 students every year. In 2012, the lowest GPA accepted at UNC was 2.39 and sGPA of 2.17

Are you an NC resident? There are a few sub 3.0 students every year. In 2012, the lowest GPA accepted at UNC was 2.39 and sGPA of 2.17
No I'm not lol. And that's insane those stats are so low...