Am I behind on my premed courses?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

woahthisisme

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Am I behind on my premed courses? :eyebrow:
This is my current science course work set-up

Freshman yr:
Biology 1 & 2 , Sociology, Psychology courses

Sophomore yr:
Chemistry, Organic Chem 1
(Summer: Physics 1&2)

Junior Year:
Organic Chem 2, Biochemistry
Summer: Take "new" MCAT in June/July * Apply *

Senior Year:
Interviews/Hopefully get into med schools/graduation :nailbiting:

Thank you in advance for your replies!! 😀
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Careful with physics 1 & 2 over the summer. If you're good at math/problem solving you should be ok, if not, I wouldn't recommend.

If it's at all possible, try to take biochem 2 before the MCAT as well. It's been way more helpful to me than biochem 1
 
Careful with physics 1 & 2 over the summer. If you're good at math/problem solving you should be ok, if not, I wouldn't recommend.

If it's at all possible, try to take biochem 2 before the MCAT as well. It's been way more helpful to me than biochem 1

Okay, thank you! I took AP Physics in high school - overall, I think I'm better at math than science. I don't think I'll be able to take biochem2 but I'll definitely review it when I'm studying for the exam
 
Do you need to finish all the premed course work before applying to med school? Or, you have to just finish them before entering medical school?
 
Do you need to finish all the premed course work before applying to med school? Or, you have to just finish them before entering medical school?
Typically, it is recommended to finish pre-reqs so that you will be fully prepared for the MCAT exam.
However, they must be completed prior to matriculation at med school.
 
I'll chime in here little

1) Ochem is far easier in my school over the summer(doesn't cover quite as much as during the school year and he quality of competition is far lower from my experience TAing both summer and school year. The same test given in the summer from my classes I've TAed will have a 55 average and 75 cut off for an A- that the spring will have a 70 average and 88 cut off or so for an A-). That's just my experience I have no idea what your school is like( it could easily not be the case) I just am not a huge fan on making generalizations like that.
2) how are you planning on taking gem Chen and ochem 1 in the same year. Gen Chem1 and 2 is a whole year right there
3) a lot of people take gen Chem and bio together. Something to consider depending on difficulty of each class in your school
4) Every school has pre reqs that are easier or harder. Try and get a feel for them in your school( my school bio and ochem took the cake physics was far easier). This will help in planning your schedule and deciding if you want to have some of these classes in the summer
 
I'll chime in here little

1) Ochem is far easier in my school over the summer(doesn't cover quite as much as during the school year and he quality of competition is far lower from my experience TAing both summer and school year. The same test given in the summer from my classes I've TAed will have a 55 average and 75 cut off for an A- that the spring will have a 70 average and 88 cut off or so for an A-). That's just my experience I have no idea what your school is like( it could easily not be the case) I just am not a huge fan on making generalizations like that.
2) how are you planning on taking gem Chen and ochem 1 in the same year. Gen Chem1 and 2 is a whole year right there
3) a lot of people take gen Chem and bio together. Something to consider depending on difficulty of each class in your school
4) Every school has pre reqs that are easier or harder. Try and get a feel for them in your school( my school bio and ochem took the cake physics was far easier). This will help in planning your schedule and deciding if you want to have some of these classes in the summer
Thank you for your comment! My school has a 3 sequence chemistry/orgo - that covers 4 semesters of classes in 3 semesters - it was specifically created for students on the pre-health/med track
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Typically, it is recommended to finish pre-reqs so that you will be fully prepared for the MCAT exam.
However, they must be completed prior to matriculation at med school.
So does the schools who have biochem as a requirement for admission require us to take it before we apply to their schools or (God willing) if we get into their schools, we need to take biochem before we matriculate?
 
So does the schools who have biochem as a requirement for admission require us to take it before we apply to their schools or (God willing) if we get into their schools, we need to take biochem before we matriculate?
Most schools list their pre-req requirements on their wesbite (some might require 1 yr of math as well) - yes, you should try to finish all pre-reqs before MCAT so that you are fully prepared but definitely finish all pre-reqs prior to attending med school. Most students finish all pre-reqs after sophomore or junior year.
 
Out of curiosity, is this because of difficulty or because, as an adcom, you don't respect the summer as much?
I'm curious as well. I know a ton of people who took it over summer, but it was at a smaller college so it was much easier.
 
it's just harder over the summer. I tried it with Physics, had one lecture on vectorial analysis, and then ran to the registrar's office to drop the course!
Oh, okay! I was just curious because I know some people say that adcoms don't like summer courses for sciences. I took my chances anyway and took Bio1/2 over one summer and Orgo1/2 over a different one. With me it was just about getting the classes done quickly because I transferred from a juco and didn't want to take them there.

FWIW OP, I kinda liked being inundated with organic all at once, with it being all I had to focus on. I didn't find it as hard as I was planning on, but I liked that I didn't have some nagging 7 page paper to write for a class that didn't matter as much when I should be studying. That being said, physics is like a different language if you don't have experience with it. Easy to fall behind quickly even during the semester.
 
ask other students at your school about taking physics over the summer and if it is harder or easier (very school dependent).

Why not do this?

Freshman:
  • 1st semester: Bio 1
  • 2nd semester: Bio 2 + Chem
Sophomore:
  • 1st semester: O-Chem 1
  • 2nd semester: O-Chem 2 + Physics 1
Junior:
  • 1st semester: Physics 2
  • 2nd semester: Biochem

Or something like that. You shouldn't have a problem doubling up on science courses, particularly once you are a sophomore/junior. I would also recommend taking psych/soc close to your MCAT, since there is now a whole section dedicated to them.