Am I being realistic?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SavageManAnimal

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I would love nothing more than to be an MD.

I've been working for the past 5 years as an engineer in the medical device industry.

I believe these are my relevant stats:

BCPM GPA 3.6
Overal GPA 3.2
MCAT 40Q

Volunteer Hours: 200

Are there any MD schools that would consider me for interviews in the USA?

Please be honost.

Thanks,
-Sav

Members don't see this ad.

Which country are you from?

You need to check and see which ones accept foreign students (many don't, unfortunately).

I've been working for the past 5 years as an engineer in the medical device industry.

BCPM GPA 3.6
Overal GPA 3.2
MCAT 40Q

Please be honost.

Thanks,
-Sav

Which country are you from?

You need to check and see which ones accept foreign students (many don't, unfortunately).

Get a copy of the MSAR (available from the AAMC website [Do a Google search]) and find out which schools accept overseas applicants. Then figure out how you are going to pay for medical school (not easy if you are not a US citizen).

You may want to pitch yourself to MD/Ph.D programs that have specific research in the areas that you were involved in the development of medical devices. If your work is well-known and you have significant contribution to this industry, you may find that you are a good candidate for MD/Ph.D programs in spite of your low cumulative uGPA. Again, you should do some solid research and make some contacts.

You also need to be aware that if you are a foreign applicant, you are expected to have higher academics than citizen applicants to U.S. medical schools. This is why I mention trying to make some contact through the research end because you would solve two potential problems: First, paying for school and second, you bypass some of the selection criteria but exchange that selection criteria that you bypass for additional scrutiny that you might be able to pass.

Members don't see this ad :)

BCPM GPA 3.6
Overal GPA 3.2
MCAT 40Q

Please be honost.

Thanks,
-Sav

With a 40 on your MCAT and a 3.6 science GPA, you will get mulitple acceptances in my opinion, especially with your health care experience. If you were in contact with patients, that would look good too.

I would contact schools and see what can be done about your non-US citizen status.

BCPM GPA 3.6
Overal GPA 3.2
MCAT 40Q

Please be honost.

Thanks,
-Sav

Absolutely! You're going to be a physician.