Am I Being Too Optimistic?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Irini

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well here is my story I?m in my 3rd year of my 5 year university. I?m an Information Systems major and after working for the IT world for 2 years I realized that it just isn?t for me. So I?m going back to my elementary school career dream of being a dentist. However I?m really scared of not getting into dental school because I?m taking the BARE minimum of bio/chem./organic chem. /physics and finishing up my IT Bachelors at the same time. So I was wondering if you guys could answer the following questions for me.

1. If I?m applying for dental school for the fall of 2005 should I be taking the DAT in the summer of 2004 or would taking it in the spring be better?
2. Should I be ok w/ the DAT if I only take the core science classes? Can I survive the test before I actually take the science classes?
3. Does anyone know what dental schools in the PA/NJ/NY area have programs that deal with dental information systems in their curriculum?
4. Where can I find out the stats for previous applicants and who got accepted?
5. I know that applications to Law School are up, is it the same story for Dental School applicants? Did the economy cause more applicants to dental school?
6. Do dental schools care if you?re not a Science Major? Does anyone actually know anyone with an IT degree who got into Dental School? If so, what school?

I?m so sorry for being such a pain. It?s just I have no friends or relatives that applied to dental school. And I would really appreciate any help I can get. Thank you in advance for anyone who replies
:D

Members don't see this ad.

All science classes are counted as science. Whether it's a computer science or biology, it's still weigh the same in term of number.
I suggest that you take at least all the biology require classes, biochem, physiology before even taking the DAT.
Dental school doesn't care what is your major. They just check your science gpa, general gpa, dat scores.
Most important, you have to show your commitment to the profession, show that you are interested in the field. Doing some volunteer works at community clinic will help you.
I suggest that you check with your health profession advising office at your undergrad school. They should be able to advise you more specifically.
Research about the school. You said that your major is IT, why don't you go to each school website and do your search about the stats of their entering classes? Or call them up, go to their recruiting office and ask. Tour the school. It's up to you to do all of those task if you want to become a dentist so bad.
Not all dental students have relatives or know anyone in dental school or dentist. But we all do our search and get there.

T

There is a book published by the ADEA that has imformation about all the dental schools and their accepted student stats. I suggest getting that book.
I think you will do fine on the DAT with just the bare requirements needed for dental school. But i do suggest taking them before you take the DAT. You can take teh DAT wheenver you want to but the sooner the better. I took mine in May and had my scores when I applied in June and I think it made everything easier.

Best of luck,
GTchick

Thanks for all the responses :p