Am I being treated equally? What would you do?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MexicanDr

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone; I simply need an input from you guys: This is my situation:

A) I am currently an RN {ASN} with the goal of becoming an MSN/FNP. Before going to Nursing School, I was at X university working on my Public Health Degree. When I got accepted into the nursing program, I left my university and went to the community college to complete my Nursing. I have one class left to complete my B.S. in Public Health; this class is Epidemiology, all of my upper division college majors and G.E. have been taken.

B) I have a friend, whom went with me to nursing school; he has a Bachelors Degree in Kinesiology. We are both pretty good friends, we went to nursing school together, we got hired on the same floor at the same time in the same hospital; we both later transferred to ICU at the same time as well.

A few months ago, he decided to go and talk to my university "X" and ask about their MSN/FNP program. They have a requirement to have a BSN degree to be accepted to this program, my friend doesn't have it, he only has a B.S. in Kinesiology and an ASN. Somehow, The Chair of the Nursing Department and the Director of the MSN program told him that they will work with him so he can obtain his BSN degree by obtaining three classes: Community Health Nursing, Health Assessment and Leadership, these classes will be offered during this summer, he will take them and then he will be able to start the MSN/FNP program in the fall.

When my friend told me this; I was very excited for him and I also thought I could go to the university and talk to them.

I sent an email to the same persons my friend met with and I told them that I am one class away from completing my B.S. in Public Health Degree and that all of our background is pretty much the same. I asked to meet with them because I was very interested in also given this opportunity his is being given and take those "3" BSN classes and complete my BSN degree and then I would take that remaining class in Public Health and as well, I would finish that degree and have a double major. These two people told me I couldn't do this, they said that if I was interested in obtaining a BSN, I had to do their RN to BSN program, which is 3 semesters. I explained to them that if my friend is being given that opportunity, why cant I? I understand that he will be starting the MSN/FNP program and if I CANT do that at this time, its fine, but I feel that I deserve to be given this opportunity to complete those three classes he is being given to complete his BSN degree.

Still, they said I couldn't, they only said that My friend was a different situation. I became very upset and sad because I feel this is unfair and I am not given this equal opportunity. Later on a second meeting, one of these persons said I could not take Community Health Nursing in the summer because the requirement for this class is "Research". As part of my Public Health Degree, we didnt take Research, but did a research/senior project which involved a lot of the research modalities. The ironic thing is that my friend didnt take a research class either, he did a senior project, yet he is being given the chance to take this class in the summer, yet I am not.

I met with the intern Dean of the Department of Health/Nursing, I explained my concerns and still, even though she was more helpful and listened more; she still thinks I cant take those classes in the summer, again, she said that my friend was a different situation.

The different situation and only difference is that he has completed his Bachelors Degree in Kinesiology already; in my case, I am one class away from completing my B.S. in Public Health. I am not asking to be enrolled in the MSN program, but the opportunity to take those 3 BSN classes and be able to get my BSN degree just like he is.

I told the Dean today that I feel my academic background is comparable to his or even more because of my several classes in Community Health {4 of them}, Human Disease, Health Behavior, etc.

What do you guys think I should do? I feel so frustrated and upset....

Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Terrible situation to be in. However, I feel like you might push the school to resile your friend's offer.

Last edited:
What can you do? You already did the right thing by going up the chain of command. It sucks and its unfair, I would be just as upset as you are in this situation but I think you have to let it go. If their policy is to only take BSNs then thats what it is, it's not much of a case to say 'well you bent the rules for him'. There has to be some piece of information that is missing here, something the program left out. Who knows, your friend could be a somebody.

It'll drive you crazy thinking about it, it's best to just let it be and focus on yourself.

Members don't see this ad :)
The difference has got to be the bachelors degree in hand. They are cutting a sweet deal and stretching to get your friend in, and you are just a bit too far beyond what they can stretch. It sucks. If you push it too hard, you might even screw it up for your buddy. That's why I never share cool info with anyone else unless I'm willing to have my cool hookup cut off at the pass by someone messing things up for me while they try to get the same deal.

Reactions: 1 users
Agree with pamac. The bachelor's degree is probably the difference.

Some of your friend kinesiology classes might be transferrable for the BSN program...

their grades might be better, their classes might be more relevant, they might not actually be conferring a BSN (just waiving the requirement to get into the MSN), your friend might have history with some of the admin, or they might just be better at asking for favors

if you already got to the dean and what you are asking for is an exception and not a right, it's over.....sorry

Reactions: 1 user
I'd still go take that one class to finish your public health degree. It might make a difference down the road. It's always more impressive on a resume as well. Imagine the value of being able to say on an application that you have a BS in public health, a bsn, and an MS in NP. It could get you a little bit longer of a look than if you had an ASN and then became an np. That's really just a way of looking for sunshine in your disappointment, but realistically, the more you bring to the table, the better you might look. It's another achievement, and like it or not, society still regards achievement higher than many other things.

Thanks guys, really appreciate the advice!