AM I competitive?? need advice!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

longhorn2006

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey guys
I am new to the forums and I was looking for some advice. I am applying to PA schools for Fall 2010 entering class. Below are my stats, please let me know if I am competitive to programs I am applying to.

Programs applying to = Baylor College of Medicine, UTHSC-SA, UT-Southwestern, UTMB-Galveston and maybe more schools.

Stats:
GPA: 3.63 (Science GPA is around 3.56) Postgrad GPA = 4.0 with 21 hrs.
GRE: haven't taken it yet but practices I am getting (600Q 450V)
Experience: Worked as an Research Tech at BCM for 1.5 yrs. No PA experience yet. No healtcare experience (nothing handson) but have volunteered at hospital and have community care experience in a non-profit organization.

Please let me know if I am competitive for the schools I am applying to and if you have any suggestions for me that I should apply to other schools suitable for me then please state the name of the school you think I am competitive for.
Is there anything I can do over this summer of 2009 that will make me a stronger candidate?

Thank you guys...

Members don't see this ad.

I was from Texas, and applied to many of the schools you list. Your grades are good, but no health care experience will eliminate you from Baylor, UTMB, and San Antonio for sure. Southwestern recommends experience and their average GPA for admits is 3.7.

Get your experience resolved, then apply if you fail to make it this cycle....

you will get in....dont worry...u have better stats than me...good luck

Members don't see this ad :)
I began my PA program from freshman year so I didn't have worry about the stress of applications. However, I know it is very competitive and I know a lot of graduates joined our program after taking a year off to gain work experience and catch up on special classes required to enter the professional phase of our PA school. (I went to Saint Francis University, PA) But what about training to do EMS over the summer? You may be able to get enough hours accumulated to meet some school's requirements. You would learn a lot and would look great on your resume. Just a thought.

lol, OP our screenname are so similar! @.@
BTW, I have a friend who's also interest in PA school but he only has around 3.0 gpa after his sophomore year. So what should he do?

lol, OP our screenname are so similar! @.@
BTW, I have a friend who's also interest in PA school but he only has around 3.0 gpa after his sophomore year. So what should he do?

Plenty of time to raise the GPA with 2 more years to go. Tell him to finish strong, get good hands on experience, and good LORs....