Am I competitive

Started by Qqdog
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Qqdog

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
PCAT scores:

VA 395/38
Bio 440/95
RC 409/68
QA 410/67
Chem 438/93
Comp 418/82

I have a 3.9 GPA but no pharmacy related experience or extracurricular activities.

I'm holding onto my dr collins incase I need to retake the PCAT but I'm unsure if I have to. I already submitted my pharmcas application but the deadline for the school I plan to attend is in March so I do have time if I happen to retake.

Would I be considered competitive? The school has ~1000 applicants, 200 spots for their students, 50 for transfer(me).
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
You can definitely get in somewhere with that GPA and PCAT score, but I don't know about the schools to which you applied. Do you have any job experience or extracurricular involvement at all? Even if it's not pharmacy-related, it could help your application. I'd really recommend getting a job as a pharmacy tech. If that's not an option, shadow a pharmacist. A lot of admissions committees will want to see experience or at least some exploration (e.g., shadowing a pharmacist) into the field of pharmacy.
 
I do have job experience and tried to glorify it as much on my personal statement. I do plan to try and get a job related to pharmacy but that would not be stated on my application.

I'm trying to get into LIU In NYC and their acceptance rates for transfers seem pretty tough. I was unsure if I needed to try and attempt to score 90+ percentile on Pcat to increase my chances
 
Quite a few people in my class don't have pharmacy experience. Your GPA and PCAT more than make up for that. Just make sure to at least do a retail pharmacy internship and understand what you might get yourself into. Most jobs are in retail and the fight for hospital/clinical positions is quite fierce (not to say that it's easy to get a job in retail though...).