am i competitive

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheCat

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well I was hoping to go to one of teh UC's but if not its ok-but wondering if I am even competitive

-all passes years 1,2 and 3
-great LORs and great evals on 2 pscyh Sub Is
-step 1-220 step 2-235
-no research
-go to a top 40 school

Members don't see this ad.

Apply and find out, it'll cost a little more money but there is no real other way of knowing. I think it is definetely worth the extra fee. Otherwise, it sounds like you are competitive.

TheCat said:
Well I was hoping to go to one of teh UC's but if not its ok-but wondering if I am even competitive

-step 1-220 step 2-235
-no research
-go to a top 40 school

TheCat said:

-step 1-220 step 2-235
-no research
-go to a top 40 school
How do you interview?

Members don't see this ad :)
TheCat said:

-step 1-220 step 2-235
-no research
-go to a top 40 school

Is this supposed to be a joke or something?

TheWowEffect said:
Is this supposed to be a joke or something?

??um no why-am I laughable for the UC's? Maybe I am way out of my league but I was honestly curious if I had a chance-the only other point I forgot which may or may not help is one of my LORS is from my current schools Program director who used to be assistant PD at UCLA-so do things like that get any weight at UCLA?

anyway-I am a solid interviewer-anyway I know these questions are annoying but as I am coming up with my list of places to apply-I find it hard to know which are competitive programs since there is no rankins ya know-anyway I appreciate the feedback a lot!

anyway-I am a solid interviewer

Being a solid interviewer, having great LORs and doing well on your Psych subIs make you a good candidate for any program. Only exceptions-The heavily research based programs where you might have less of a chance.

You'll never know if you don't apply... and you mgiht end up somewhere you don't want be wondering for the next 4 years, what if... Or you might itnerview there and decide you hate it and want to go somewhere else, either way applying is the only way to know...

yes, you'll be surprised where you get interview offers, apply everywhere, the sky is the limit.

TheCat said:

-step 1-220 step 2-235
-no research
-go to a top 40 school

Hi, hope I am not thinking incorrectly... I think you mean the U of California... if that's the case.... NPI and UCSF may/may not grant you an interview, UCSD probably will, the rest (UCI, UCD, .....), it's up to you to put as No. 1 choice. Best bet would be the UCSF or UCLA-affliated programs (some are easier to get in than you think)... hope this helps.

The reason why the person asked if this was a joke or something was because you have great credentials. It sounds like you aren't that confident, which is okay because this whole process makes people crazy and has them ignore all the positive stuff they have to offer. If you dont get into a UC school, you can always go to another great program. Either way, Go for it.

Thanks guys-I know most of these posts are repulsive but I chose psych pretty late in the game so I truly know nothing about the field-and I seem to be around a lot of medstudents with the "I have 9 puplications, 4 years solidl research, AOA etc etc) none of which I have-I know my boards are pretty good and I know sub Is are good but you know how the gunner types blow your confidence-anyway it was just an honest question and I really appreciate the feedback-Ill just go for it and see what happens-you are right-dont know till ya try! thanks guys! catman

I hate this misconception that Psych is easy to match at top research heavy programs. The fact is that it may be easier to match into Psych per se. However, if you want to match at a top ten program it is very, very competitive. As competitive as a top ten program in Internal Medicine.

For what is worth Cat, I would apply to the programs. Just remember not to hold your breath.

good point in the last post. I know someone who applied to both med and psych. intermingled her rank list, didn't match at a couple of psych programs at the top of her list (granted they were topnotch programs) but did match at Brigham and Womens for medicine (which for those who don't know is easily a top 5 medicine program). so there are no guarantees when it comes to matching...on the other hand, most people i know who are worried about their "numbers" are surprised at how many interviews they get and at what caliber of places academically (and I stress academically because if you aren't into being close to research and academia, it doesn't matter nearly as much to go to a top "academic program".).

That being said, other factors like the interview, letters of rec, essays, and potentially away electives seem to factor in a great deal in psychiatry compared to other "numbers heavy" fields. The interpersonal skills and personality style of an applicant is tremendously important to programs. Hence, you get programs that have eight 30-45 minute interviews in psych, whereas even in medicine many programs have two to three 15 minute interviews. It gives you an idea of what is important.

So to the OP, I don't think you should assume you are a lock for the UCSFs of the world, but when you asked "am I competitive", with the information that you provided, the general answer is unequivocally "yes". But there are no guarantees beyond that. And please recognize that it will be very difficult to get into UCLA or UCSF (as examples of two top ten national academically regarded programs). You should consider going the extra mile by doing an away rotation or research at one of those places if you are determined to go there.

best,
worriedwell

From a sheer numbers perspective...the top ten medicine programs have roughly 400 spots available. If you arbitrarily (and I stress arbitrarily, don't miss the forest for the trees in this example) take the top 40 medical schools in the US, that affords 10 spots per medical school for matching into a top ten medicine program.

However, if you average the top 10 psych residencies to have roughly 10 spots each, thats 100 spots, or 2.5 med students taking from a pool of the top 40 medical schools. More realistically though, especially in psych where they are less prestige and numbers hungery as top medicine programs, you are "eligible" for the spots from any medical school especially if you have compelling experience or life stories that generally trump numbers (to a certain extent). Thus it averages even less.

Taking into account regional and program biases will skew these averages of course, and this was just an example. in addition, there is a top heavy effect that the harvards of the world would match all ten of their applicants into top programs regardless of their numbers and then it would trickle down, but you get what I mean. You should realize that based on the above consideration, and the fact that you imply that you are coming not from Harvard but a medical school in the 30-40 range of US News, in general...to match into a "top ten" name program (of which UCLA and UCSF both almost surely qualify), you should consider yourself one of the top 2 candidates in your medical school class for psychiatry.--not top two by numbers but top 2 by overall quality, however that is measured. And even then there is no guarantee.

If its any UC you are looking for, and you throw in the Stanford, USCs, and other west coast programs in there...then you are much better off and if you are from a UC yourself and interview well, then you are very likely, almost assured to find a spot in California. Don't fret. But work on selling yourself as a good candidate in as many ways as possible to maximize your chances.

best,
worriedwell

Thanks for the insightful posts worried-I think everyone stresses a bit through this process-its always hard on SDN since most poeple are "super applicants" so maybe they dont worry but I am an average dude in most ways so I do worry like most about getting in places you like etc-so I appreciate your insight and advice! Catscradle