Am I crazy?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cellneuro23

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I have wanted to be a surgeon since I was 9 years old. Unfortunately, I hit a few rough academic patches during my undergrad career. In an attempt to "boost" my application, I participated in a lot of EC's and am I'm currently doing a non-degree one-year post-bac at Harvard ES.

I'm planning on taking the June 2008 MCAT and am planning on applying for the class of 2014. During 2008-2009, I was thinking of working in a neuroscience lab and of continuing my volunteer work at a local hospital.

The School Selection Spreadsheet basically told me that I have no chance for MD (sigh). Below is my academic and extracurricular info… is the spreadsheet correct? Am I just kidding myself? Or do I have a shot for a MD program (I'm a CA resident living in MA) in CA, MA, CT, PA, NY, or FL? What kind of MCAT score do I need? Are there any other application boosters that I should be doing?

Any input would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

- Stressed out pre-med

POST-BAC: Harvard Extension, Non-Degree
Academics
- Currently have an A, A-, and A in organic chemistry, physics, and English; respectively (Fyi, I received a D+ in organic chemistry in undergrad)
Extracurriculars:
- Volunteer 9 hours/week at a local hospital
- Training for a half-marathon
- Attempting to establish a Nothing-But-Nets program

UNDERGRAD: Top 10 liberal arts college (minimal grade inflation)
Academics:
- Graduated in 2008 with a BA in cellular neuroscience and studio art
- Cumulative gpa: 2.99; science gpa: 2.8
Extracurriculars:
- Co-author of a publication in a well respected international botany journal
- Volunteered in rural Uganda for 5 weeks (worked in local health clinics. Also assisted with research to help prevent human-gorilla disease transmission)
- Presented original research at a conference
- Worked on various research projects all four years
- President of a couple clubs (tennis and cultural); participated in many other clubs
- Shadowed a neurosurgeon and an orthopedic surgeon.
- Residential adviser in a freshman dorm
- Varsity sport
- Volunteer tour guide and admissions volunteer

Miscellaneous:
- US and EU citizen; fluent in 3 languages

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
how did you get into harvard for a post-bac with a sub 3.0 gpa???

Anyway, your EC's are awesome but with that GPA, no you currently do not have a shot at MD schools.
However, it seems your doing really well in your post-bacc program, so I think if you continue in that direction and rock the MCAT, your EC's will put you over the edge and you could possibly have a shot at MD, and if not, DO will definitely be an option.

how did you get into harvard for a post-bac with a sub 3.0 gpa???

Anyway, your EC's are awesome but with that GPA, no you currently do not have a shot at MD schools.
However, it seems your doing really well in your post-bacc program, so I think if you continue in that direction and rock the MCAT, your EC's will put you over the edge and you could possibly have a shot at MD, and if not, DO will definitely be an option.
Harvard extention isnt like applying to Harvard Universiy. The extention school will pretty much let anyone willing to pay take classes with little regard to grades.

To the OP, if you are sincere about being a doctor for the right reasons and not worried about titles, then just go to a DO school, you should have a shot at one of them if you try. Last resort if you are willing to sacrifice and dont have any local obligations go to the carib schools, you will get into practically of them with your stats, more loopholes, might have less of a chance at top residencies like neuro and ortho, but you will still be a doctor.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for your input! :)

Although DO schools have really improved over the years, I really do not want to go that route. Also, the Caribbean just sounds so risky...

Is there anything that I could do to boost my chances into MD? I'm willing to do whatever it takes.

beggars can't be choosers dude. DO & caribbean are currently your best options for becoming a physician.

For MD, like I said, keep up with the post-bacc & rock the MCAT. Class of 2014 might be a little rushed, but you could pull it off if you really step it up (4.0 over the next 2 years, full courseload)

Unless you massacre the MCAT (and I mean score in the 39+ range) you definitely need to read up on DO and consider it as an option.