Am I doing enough for matching Ophthalmology?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SquashandMedicine

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Just looking to get some more opinions on if I'm doing enough to hopefully match into ophtho next year.

I'm at a T-30ish med school with a strong ophtho department. I'm currently taking a research year in between my third and fourth year working in an ophtho lab. So far I've just done a poster presentation, but I have 1 first author case report in revisions, another first author case report soon to be submitted, I am doing edits on a manuscript that I will be first author on and hope to be able to submit it soon, I have a few abstract submissions that I should end up 1st or second author on, and 4+ of other projects where I will be an author but I am unsure how many, if any will be submitted/published prior to applying. I had essentially no research before I started this year. I landed on ophtho late.. I feel really lucky that I landed in a lab that is doing research that I think is really cool and cutting edge.

My school is true P/F for everything (preclinical grades, shelves, rotations, etc). I passed Step 1. My MSPE comments are good. I scored in the high 250s on step 2. I believe I will have strong LORs from the connections I have made this year, one letter writer is well-known in the field. I do not have GHHS, I am unsure if I will be able to get AOA.

I have some unique and cool leadership experiences and hobbies that I'm not going to delve into for the sake of privacy. I also play a sport at a low professional level... Not sure if PDs will care about that.

I am going to do a couple aways this summer. I was not planning to dual apply. I guess I'm just nervous because at my school more people than usual are interested in ophtho this year and I've heard the same thing at other schools. I've done my best to be a good applicant, but I'm curious what people think what my chances are and if I should be doing anything else? Or if I should strongly reconsider dual applying?

I appreciate the help!

Members don't see this ad.

Yes just try to make sure your research year is productive in terms of both pubs and connections

Members don't see this ad :)
You appear to be in great shape. Don’t do your away rotations at reach programs. And try to come up with good reasons to tell the attendings at your aways why you want to be specifically at their program.

You appear to be in great shape. Don’t do your away rotations at reach programs. And try to come up with good reasons to tell the attendings at your aways why you want to be specifically at their program.
Thanks for the input! I will make sure to do that while on aways.

Reactions: 1 user