Quantcast

Am i doing something wrong? (concerning clinical experience)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sujc

5+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.
I've done 300 hours of being a general volunteer at a hospital. That was in high school.

Now I've started volunteering during college. The thing is...I'm doing exactly what I did in high school. Same limitations, same duties

So why don't med schools care about volunteering during high school when its the same as during college? Am I doing something wrong? Is this all I can do, besides shadowing?

G

gmcguitar4

Look in other departments and see if the need help. Try clinical research or ask some doctors. Chiefs need help with stuff. Look for other positions elsewhere. Keep doing what you are doing until you find something better.

Morsetlis

I wish I were a dentist
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've done 300 hours of being a general volunteer at a hospital. That was in high school.

Now I've started volunteering during college. The thing is...I'm doing exactly what I did in high school. Same limitations, same duties

So why don't med schools care about volunteering during high school when its the same as during college? Am I doing something wrong? Is this all I can do, besides shadowing?

If you've been doing it since high school, you can note that you've been doing it since high school and that demonstrates commitment. Although, I think you'd be bored out of your mind by now. Go get an EMT or CNA or something.

PMPMD

4G MD
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
If you've been doing it since high school, you can note that you've been doing it since high school and that demonstrates commitment. Although, I think you'd be bored out of your mind by now. Go get an EMT or CNA or something.

yes.

Reaction score
So why don't med schools care about volunteering during high school when its the same as during college?
Theoretically, you should gain more mature insights from recent experience than you did as a HS student.

If you feel the current activity is too similar and restricting, then broaden your experience base by volunteering in a free clinic, hospice, rehab facility, or skilled nursing home (not in a retirement home). Or do clinical research where you interact with patients. Or get a job (after certifying) drawing blood, taking EKGs, or as an EMT.