Dylan82318

2+ Year Member
Apr 18, 2016
Status
Pre-Medical
Hey guys. I'm pretty anxious about my predicament right now. Here's my status so far.
- Anthropology major
-Asian american upcoming junior at a University of California school (will start in about 3 weeks)
- have done no research (friend said she'll hook me up this year with research)
-have not shadowed (cousins and family doctor can fix that)
-3.5 cummulative / 3.0 sgpa :(
-have not taken mcat and looking for a gap year (planning to take mcat after studying this summer)
-volunteered at a veterans hospital since sophomore year high school + ER front desk clerical volunteer for one summer
-in an honor society and have yet to take physics, one quarter of ochem, and one quarter of biochem (will get all done by the end of my junior year)

Do I still have a chance? my 3.0 sgpa is horrible and im ashamed mostly because I got a C in Gen Chem 3rd quarter smh. I have dealt with depression basically my whole sophomore year. it was really hard to get out of it but I'm feeling alot better now. I was wondering what advice any of you medical students or acceptances have? What should I do to maximize my chances of getting in? I can still take other science courses my junior and senior year like math, stats, entomology. Mostly have gotten B's in my science courses. Thank You very much and I look forward to your responses.

lesdieux

5+ Year Member
Nov 18, 2014
Status
Pre-Medical
Your cGPA is just fine, and yeah your sGPA is low but you still have time to bump it up, especially if you plan to take a gap year. My advice is ace those upper level science classes and get a 503+ on the MCAT. Research is not particularly important. You still have time to shadow. All in all, you still have a chance! Worst case scenario, do an SMP/post bac

EDIT: also math and behavioral science courses don't count toward your sGPA

Reactions: Dylan82318

ichabodcrane

5+ Year Member
May 21, 2013
Status
Definitely not done for. Be honest when telling your story, whether in your interviews or perhaps in your personal statement. It takes courage to admit to struggling and they will see it as a sign of maturity. You'll sweeten the deal even more (and show you've truly turned over a new leaf) if you then go on to crush your remaining premed classes. And finally, for the icing on the cake, a nice above average MCAT score for the exclamation point. Don't give up on yourself at this stage... you sound pretty well rounded and your coming from an strong undergrad university. Apply broadly and I really think you have a pretty good shot!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

About the Ads

workaholic181

2+ Year Member
May 29, 2017
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
When I graduated UG my sGPA and cGPA were lower than yours. I aced a DIY post-bacc and scored well on the MCAT and thus far am having a good cycle.

Finish strong with a solid upward trend of 3.7+ in your science courses and shoot for a 512+ MCAT, and you will be competitive for MD. GEt a 505ish, you're competitive for DO.

You're absolutely not done, just look at this time as an opportunity, a fresh start to a degree because ultimately what happens now is up to you and your past problems with grades don't have to be relevant on how you approach the now.

Good luck OP!

Jul 23, 2017
Status
Pre-Medical
Getting into medical school is not a race. You're not in a competition to check your boxes by the end of junior year to apply during your senior year. Most medical students are starting at 24-25 these days.

Since you're struggling you probably want to work on bumping up that GPA and getting LORs. Your GPA is going to be the hardest thing to change without years of additional work so get it right while you can. College is only half-done for you. After you graduate you can worry about the MCAT and other ECs. Your long-term volunteering at the VA sounds great!

Last edited:

Natural Killer Cell

Go Blue! Go...Green?
2+ Year Member
Feb 17, 2017
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
Just focus on your classes and getting your sGPA (get As in some upper level science courses) as high as you can before you graduate. Take a gap year(s) to complete the MCAT and improve your ECs and getting ready to apply. There are a lot of schools nowadays, and with the influx of new schools (both DO and MD), if you apply broadly, you're bound to get in somewhere. Of course, if you want to be selective in location, or only apply to established schools, then there's more to it. But right now, I'd just focus on finishing college strong.

Goro

Gold Donor
7+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2010
Somewhere west of St. Louis
Status
Non-Student
Hey guys. I'm pretty anxious about my predicament right now. Here's my status so far.
- Anthropology major
-Asian american upcoming junior at a University of California school (will start in about 3 weeks)
-have not taken mcat and looking for a gap year (planning to take mcat after studying this summer)
-volunteered at a veterans hospital since sophomore year high school + ER front desk clerical volunteer for one summer
-in an honor society and have yet to take physics, one quarter of ochem, and one quarter of biochem (will get all done by the end of my junior year)

Do I still have a chance? my 3.0 sgpa is horrible and im ashamed mostly because I got a C in Gen Chem 3rd quarter smh. I have dealt with depression basically my whole sophomore year. it was really hard to get out of it but I'm feeling alot better now. I was wondering what advice any of you medical students or acceptances have? What should I do to maximize my chances of getting in? I can still take other science courses my junior and senior year like math, stats, entomology. Mostly have gotten B's in my science courses. Thank You very much and I look forward to your responses.
You need to start aceing things from now on.
As of right now, your chances would be best with the newest DO schools. You'd be auto-rejected from mine.

OP
D

Dylan82318

2+ Year Member
Apr 18, 2016
Status
Pre-Medical
As of right now, your chances would be best with the newest DO schools. You'd be auto-rejected from mine.
Do you mean I could actually get accepted to a new DO school with a 3.0 sgpa? Of course with other things to go along with it i.e. volunteering etc

Goro

Gold Donor
7+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2010
Somewhere west of St. Louis
Status
Non-Student
Do you mean I could actually get accepted to a new DO school with a 3.0 sgpa? Of course with other things to go along with it i.e. volunteering etc
Yes:
ARCOM
UIW
RVU-UT
NYIT-AR
ICOM
and maybe ACOM, VCOMs, Wm Carey, LMU as well. I don't know the floors of many schools.

Beautiful Sunset

Membership Revoked
Removed
Account on Hold
Sep 8, 2017
Status
Medical Student
You'd be auto-rejected from the shiniest ivory towers....lol. Oh Goro, if only every school could be half as good as yours.

Beautiful Sunset

Membership Revoked
Removed
Account on Hold
Sep 8, 2017
Status
Medical Student
Do exceptionally well on the MCAT and you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Beautiful Sunset

Membership Revoked
Removed
Account on Hold
Sep 8, 2017
Status
Medical Student
- Anthropology major

A few things don't help. The two biggest are being Asian and a 3.0 sGPA. Can't change the first and the second is mostly set in stone. Do well very well on the MCAT.

Doogie.Howser

2+ Year Member
Jun 6, 2017
Status
Medical Student
I wouldn't worry so much about the EC's as of yet. Do not rush the process. As great as EC's look on an application, with 1000+ hours of patient contact, published papers, etc., you won't get in with a low GPA and MCAT. The GPA and MCAT need to come first! Only then should you take care of building up your app. GPA and MCAT are the foundation while EC's build around the foundation. Like everyone else stated, you can definitely get in with hard work. But focus on school first and get rid of ECs that are holding you back from achieving good grades. Good luck!

Natural Killer Cell

Go Blue! Go...Green?
2+ Year Member
Feb 17, 2017
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
You can, especially if you apply broadly and early to every school (it would cost you a lot of money). However all schools, MD and DO both, will have a bunch of applicants with numbers above their school average who don't get in. I wouldn't even worry about anything right now other than just graduating and doing well in class the next 2-3 years.

S

Served

I think it's still possible, but 3.0 sGPA might be a stretch especially for ORM. How did you do on your MCAT?

OP
D

Dylan82318

2+ Year Member
Apr 18, 2016
Status
Pre-Medical
I think it's still possible, but 3.0 sGPA might be a stretch especially for ORM. How did you do on your MCAT?
I can still improve my sgpa there s easy bio classes, math, stats, botany,astronomy. I can definitely get it up. Honestly willing to go to any do school. Any recommendations for a do school with a sgpa 3.0-3.3

Doogie.Howser

2+ Year Member
Jun 6, 2017
Status
Medical Student
I think you should worry about GPA and MCAT before deciding where to apply. You still have two years. Focus on what's going on now first to determine if you can bring up your GPA. Not trying to bring you down at all; you can absolutely bring up the GPA. But DO IT. Then figure out where you can apply. You can spend your valuable study time doing this research for no purpose at all if it ends up destroying your grades. Don't worry, there will be a school for you.

About the Ads