Am I done?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Leer

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
It's been a while since I've posted here. It's amazing how different things look from the "other side".

I desperately want to believe that I'm not out of the running, but it's looking pretty bad. Last semester I got diagnosed with diabetes, and it really just destroyed my foundations. Depression and physical symptoms really kicked my ass worse than anything I've ever experienced.

I'm doing a lot better now, but it took time. The aftermath is 5 W's and a potential C grade. My GPA will survive this, but I have a total withdrawal from a semester (dropped 3 classes at once). I'd like to believe I can explain this and everything will still be OK, but I really feel like I'm done. If I have a really high GPA, and all the other good stuff am I still in the running at all?

Members don't see this ad.

I went through a similar situation with a heart condition my sophomore year, came out the other side and got accepted this year. I made a point to explain that outlier semester in my essays and it really wasnt an issue at all.

Members don't see this ad :)
You definately still have a chance as long as you can keep your GPA up. Many medical schools have you explain W's and any grade of B- of lower, which you will be able to explain. Good luck with everything.

It's been a while since I've posted here. It's amazing how different things look from the "other side".

I desperately want to believe that I'm not out of the running, but it's looking pretty bad. Last semester I got diagnosed with diabetes, and it really just destroyed my foundations. Depression and physical symptoms really kicked my ass worse than anything I've ever experienced.

I'm doing a lot better now, but it took time. The aftermath is 5 W's and a potential C grade. My GPA will survive this, but I have a total withdrawal from a semester (dropped 3 classes at once). I'd like to believe I can explain this and everything will still be OK, but I really feel like I'm done. If I have a really high GPA, and all the other good stuff am I still in the running at all?

just keep moving forward!

you definately still have a chance as long as you can keep your gpa up. Many medical schools have you explain w's and any grade of b- of lower, which you will be able to explain. Good luck with everything.

+1

If you got your diabetes and depression under control and show a pattern of consistent excellent grades from now on, one C and a semester of Ws will not hold you back considering your explanation. You are definitely not "done." Rather, adcomms will appreciate that you have perspectives from the other side.