Am I guaranteed to be waitlisted now?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GreatEmancipator

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone.

So I interviewed at a school in September after receiving an II on the first day that the schools sent out II's, according to those on SDN in the school-specific forums. After interviewing with one faculty member, that person told me that they were excited to see me on campus next year. I then sent that faculty member a very short email thanking them for their time and that it was nice to meet them, to which they responded that they "really look forward to working with [me] next year." I felt like I did a nice job in the interview and was feeling confident, especially since my GPA and MCAT are both above the averages for the admitted class in the school.

However, the school kept delaying releasing decisions. According to SDN, though, they must've sent out a few initial A's last week as people on SDN are saying they got accepted. Does that mean I am pretty much guaranteed to be waitlisted when they send out their decisions to everyone who has interviewed here in a week or two? Or, is there any reason (or hope lol) that for some reason they only sent out a few A's to people last week and are still working on sending some to people they just haven't gotten to yet, even though I interviewed in September? Sorry for the long post and if it sounds like I am complaining, I just felt somewhat confident since September and now feel the opposite. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

I have no idea what the answer to your question is and I'm not sure anyone could know that. But just wanted to point out that you should never listen to your interviewer when they make comments like that. It is probably a good sign that you did well on the interview, but that's about it. Means nothing in terms of getting an acceptance. I know this from the countless number of posts on SDN of people using the interviewer's comments as evidence for getting an acceptance post-interview and also personal experience. Interviewed at the same school 2 years in a row, 1st interview was amazing and I got great feedback from the interviewer, I got WL->R. In the 2nd interview the next year my interviewer told me verbatim "It looks like you have filled the holes in your application since last year and I don't see how you could not get in this cycle. I really look forward to meeting you at the white coat ceremony next fall". I was subsequently deferred and have not heard from them since. Lesson: take those comments with a jug of salt.

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
I have no idea what the answer to your question is and I'm not sure anyone could know that. But just wanted to point out that you should never listen to your interviewer when they make comments like that. It is probably a good sign that you did well on the interview, but that's about it. Means nothing in terms of getting an acceptance. I know this from the countless number of posts on SDN of people using the interviewer's comments as evidence for getting an acceptance post-interview and also personal experience. Interviewed at the same school 2 years in a row, 1st interview was amazing and I got great feedback from the interviewer, I got WL->R. In the 2nd interview the next year my interviewer told me verbatim "It looks like you have filled the holes in your application since last year and I don't see how you could not get in this cycle. I really look forward to meeting you at the white coat ceremony next fall". I was subsequently deferred and have not heard from them since. Lesson: take those comments with a jug of salt.
Thank you for the response, and I understand that the interviewer's pleasantries really mean nothing in the context of getting accepted. I was more using those comments to show that my interview and application seemed to be in the right direction towards an acceptance for the school. Especially considering I was invited to interview at the very beginning of the cycle and felt like I was a great fit for the mission of the school. I guess I just wanted someone to say they may have some weird clerical reason for only accepting a handful of people and are still getting to others who interviewed so long ago. Of course, that is most likely a pipe dream. Again though, thank you.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everyone.

So I interviewed at a school in September after receiving an II on the first day that the schools sent out II's, according to those on SDN in the school-specific forums. After interviewing with one faculty member, that person told me that they were excited to see me on campus next year. I then sent that faculty member a very short email thanking them for their time and that it was nice to meet them, to which they responded that they "really look forward to working with [me] next year." I felt like I did a nice job in the interview and was feeling confident, especially since my GPA and MCAT are both above the averages for the admitted class in the school.

However, the school kept delaying releasing decisions. According to SDN, though, they must've sent out a few initial A's last week as people on SDN are saying they got accepted. Does that mean I am pretty much guaranteed to be waitlisted when they send out their decisions to everyone who has interviewed here in a week or two? Or, is there any reason (or hope lol) that for some reason they only sent out a few A's to people last week and are still working on sending some to people they just haven't gotten to yet, even though I interviewed in September? Sorry for the long post and if it sounds like I am complaining, I just felt somewhat confident since September and now feel the opposite. Thank you!
There are absolutely no guarantees in this process. You might be waitlisted, accepted or rejected. Nobody knows. You’ve done everything you were supposed to do so try to relax, find something to do etc. I know this is hard and waiting is nerve wracking but you have to wait. At this point the school holds the cards.

Reactions: 3 users
Hey everyone.

So I interviewed at a school in September after receiving an II on the first day that the schools sent out II's, according to those on SDN in the school-specific forums. After interviewing with one faculty member, that person told me that they were excited to see me on campus next year.
All interviewers are trained to be polite. This interviewer may also have been overruled by the rest of the Adcom
I then sent that faculty member a very short email thanking them for their time and that it was nice to meet them, to which they responded that they "really look forward to working with [me] next year." I felt like I did a nice job in the interview and was feeling confident, especially since my GPA and MCAT are both above the averages for the admitted class in the school.
See above
However, the school kept delaying releasing decisions. According to SDN, though, they must've sent out a few initial A's last week as people on SDN are saying they got accepted.
Is this according to current students in the school-specific thread?
Does that mean I am pretty much guaranteed to be waitlisted when they send out their decisions to everyone who has interviewed here in a week or two? Or, is there any reason (or hope lol) that for some reason they only sent out a few A's to people last week and are still working on sending some to people they just haven't gotten to yet, even though I interviewed in September?
Here's a harsh truth which may upset some tender snowflakes, but it's necessary. Until you get that accept email in your Inbox, you are rejected, and as such, you should be working on improving your app.

Some schools, for reasons known only to themselves, never update interviewees.

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you for the response, and I understand that the interviewer's pleasantries really mean nothing in the context of getting accepted. I was more using those comments to show that my interview and application seemed to be in the right direction towards an acceptance for the school. Especially considering I was invited to interview at the very beginning of the cycle and felt like I was a great fit for the mission of the school. I guess I just wanted someone to say they may have some weird clerical reason for only accepting a handful of people and are still getting to others who interviewed so long ago. Of course, that is most likely a pipe dream. Again though, thank you.

Hate to keep bursting your bubble. My 2nd interview at that school was on the literal first interview day of the cycle, as the admissions team told us. Words mean nothing.

Reactions: 1 user
All interviewers are trained to be polite. This interviewer may also have been overruled by the rest of the Adcom

See above

Here's a harsh truth which may upset some tender snowflakes, but it's necessary. Until you get that accept email in your Inbox, you are rejected, and as such, you should be working on improving your app.

See above

That is what I assumed, but of course was naively looking for some false assurance. Anyway, thanks for taking the time to reply, hope all is well.