Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Wondering what everyone else does about SNF paperwork. I'm talking about the 10 pages of admit orders they send you when the hospitalist discharges them to the SNF. Then the VOs that you get to sign every week when they called to ask if they could have tylenol, or alka seltzer, or an extra brownie at dinner, etc. And my personal favorite, the pharmacist recommendations where they go through all the meds and enlighten you on the possible drug interactions and warnings that your 75 y/o with CHF, DM2, HTN, CKD, MDD, and GAD generates and want you to respond to each of the interactions.
For background I practice in a small town with 2 FP clinics and 3 SNFs. My other partners(who are in their 60s) just sign the stuff with no pushback. A couple years ago I got sick of all the uncompensated time waste and had my staff call and tell them I'm not following my patients in the nursing home and just to have them overseen by their medical director, who works in the other clinic. Yet they keep sending it to me. Last month had a patient have a knee replacement and put into a SNF by the ortho. They call wanting a refill of her percocet and send me their crap paperwork to sign. I told them to send it to their medical director as I didn't admit the patient and I'm not the one managing her post-op pain. They send it to me again. I send it back with a note telling them again to send it to their medical director. Last week I get part of the paperwork back and some orders to sign, along with their admit labs which they want me to respond to.
Don't even get me started on signing home health orders and dealing with the HH nurse constantly calling for a UA due to cloudy urine or wondering what they want me to do about the patient who has a fever and can't breathe and is turning blue.
I know I'm burned out and working through that, but trying to decide if I'm being a jerk and if everyone else in the world just signs their packet of orders every Monday and moves on.
For background I practice in a small town with 2 FP clinics and 3 SNFs. My other partners(who are in their 60s) just sign the stuff with no pushback. A couple years ago I got sick of all the uncompensated time waste and had my staff call and tell them I'm not following my patients in the nursing home and just to have them overseen by their medical director, who works in the other clinic. Yet they keep sending it to me. Last month had a patient have a knee replacement and put into a SNF by the ortho. They call wanting a refill of her percocet and send me their crap paperwork to sign. I told them to send it to their medical director as I didn't admit the patient and I'm not the one managing her post-op pain. They send it to me again. I send it back with a note telling them again to send it to their medical director. Last week I get part of the paperwork back and some orders to sign, along with their admit labs which they want me to respond to.
Don't even get me started on signing home health orders and dealing with the HH nurse constantly calling for a UA due to cloudy urine or wondering what they want me to do about the patient who has a fever and can't breathe and is turning blue.
I know I'm burned out and working through that, but trying to decide if I'm being a jerk and if everyone else in the world just signs their packet of orders every Monday and moves on.