Am I Nontraditional?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Doc Henry

blowin' in the wind
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am uncertain on my status as far as the whole tradition/non topic goes. Here is the break down...

Traditional:
-age 22
-first carrier
-etc

Non:
-married with 8yr old step son who we don't have full time
-screwed up a little in HS so spent a few years at CC to get back into the school groove before transferring to university

Members don't see this ad.

I am uncertain on my status as far as the whole tradition/non topic goes. Here is the break down...

Traditional:
-age 22
-first carrier
-etc

Non:
-screwed up a little in HS so spent a few years at CC to get back into the school groove before transferring to university

I think non-trad is who did not apply to med school right after college but had another career before applying to med school, i think in that sense u are traditional.

Traditional:
-age 22
-first carrier
-etc

Non:

100% traditional, with a little family experience. HS screw-up doesn't matter, and CC is fine for the first 2 years of college.

Members don't see this ad :)

Traditional:
-age 22
-first carrier
-etc

Non:

Just curious...what do you mean by first carrier?

Oh, and my take on the OP's question:
According to how this forum defines nontraditional, you're probably not:

For students that have entered the health professions from a different path, either as a career change, after military service, or just later than the average pre-health student.

But, heck, you've heard the one about, "you're as young as you feel?"
I suppose if you think you're nontrad, go for it.

thanks for some in put. I think I probably am not non traditional. I just am not like the majority of grads who are 22, single, no kids etc.