Am I on track for an MSTP program?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

surgeonboy97

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I'm currently an undergraduate sophomore hoping to attend an MD/PhD program after I graduate. I am currently studying biomedical engineering at a top 40 public school. I believe this is the most selective program at my university. I'm also taking a political science minor (out of personal interest) and a genetics minor (that's what I want to do my PhD in). Between these classes and my other extracurriculars I expect to spend 5 years working on my undergrad. Here's a bit of background:

My current GPA according to my university is a 4.o, although my school gives A+'s, so if medical schools were to recalculate it it now it would be a 3.94 science GPA and a 3.93 cumulative. Up to this point I've had all A-'s, A's, and A+'s. However, it looks like after a bit of a subpar performance in a circuits analysis class I may end up with B, which would bring me to a 3.88 science and a 3.89 cumulative. This is one of my points of concern, I would've liked to avoid any B's if possible. Will this be significant when applying to top tier med schools or simply be brushed of as a minor slip in an otherwise successful course load?

I'm also currently spending about 16 hours a week helping out in a veterinary research lab, working primarily with genetics, and have been offered a full-time research position over the summer, hopefully enough to get a significant project done, if not a minor publication.

I was recently certified as an EMT-B, and while I haven't really done anything with it yet I am planning to begin volunteering doing intake at a nearby open door clinic. This would be 4 hours per week every week, or about 400 hours by the time I graduate.

I am a member of a fairly selective fellowship program (about 8% of freshmen who apply get in) with which I participated in a semester long volunteer project producing an analysis program with Python for the previously mentioned open door clinic. Next year I will be a TA leading a group in a similar project. This fellowship program offers other significant leadership training as well.

First off can anybody speak to the impact of a poor performance in an engineering course such as circuits? Also can anybody recommend any alterations I may want to make in my future plans? Thanks in advance for the replies!

Members don't see this ad.

Just an undergrad too but I'll be starting at an mstp in the fall so I'll chime in.

Nobody will care about your minors.

Nobody will care about a B.

What strikes me is your research experience. When would you be applying? Keep getting experience (cause what you have right now is not enough)

If your interests are super strong, get the minors. If not, drop that 5th year and spend it at the NIH or another postbac instead. It'll do a lot more for your life path that way

Feel free to PM me if you want more specific advice