Am I on track to be a solid applicant for the 26-27 app cycle?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Psyched*Out

Reaction score
I just want some feedback on how I'm doing so far.

1. cGPA and sGPA as calculated by AMCAS or AACOMAS- 3.96 for both (got a B in gen chem II during a dual enrollment class in HS)
  2. MCAT score(s) and breakdown. Include all (non-voided) attempts. N/A
  3. State of residence or country of citizenship (if non-US) AR
  4. Ethnicity and/or race Asian ORM
  5. Undergraduate institution or category Low tier state school
  6. Clinical experience (volunteer and non-volunteer)- None right now other than like 50 hrs of clinical volunteering. I'm starting a volunteering position soon though that'll be for around 6hrs a week every week till I apply. I know this is my weakest point though.
  7. Research experience and productivity- ~200 hrs rn will be closer to 600 by the time I apply. All of this is time spent working on my honors thesis. I'm not expecting a pub or poster presentation, but I have received a $4000 grant to fund my research.
  8. Shadowing experience and specialties represented- 25 hrs with vascular surgery and 20 hours with a primary care physician
  9. Non-clinical volunteering- 300 hours at a food pantry and will continue this till I apply
  10. Other extracurricular activities (including athletics, military service, gap year activities, leadership, teaching, etc)- TA for a statistics class, tutor on campus for numerous subjects (all STEM classes), mentor for new tutors, and treasurer of local UNICEF club.
  11. Relevant honors or awards- None at the moment other than the research grant and a full ride to my undergrad. Have gotten deans list every semester so far too.
  12. Anything else not listed you think might be important- As far as LORs go, I'm not expecting anything too good from my PI bc I work with a grad student mentor mostly. If the mentor is able to write it with the PI just signing off, then it would be a great letter. I also expect a great letter from the professor I TA for, and another one from my organic chemistry professor. If I need another science rec letter, my general bio prof would also a write me a solid one.

Members don't see this ad.

Advice for 2026-2027??? Two years away? Obviously, you have a lot more runway to play with, so what worries you the most? When are you graduating? Are you planning on archiving your academic professor letters until 2026?

Reactions: 1 user
Advice for 2026-2027??? Two years away? Obviously, you have a lot more runway to play with, so what worries you the most? When are you graduating? Are you planning on archiving your academic professor letters until 2026?
Im graduating 2026 spring, so a year early. I know its a long way from now, but I just want to know how I'm doing and what I should do to improve or stand out. Right now I feel like my activities are basic and I'm struggling to get ideas for other things to do. As far as what worries me most, it's the clinical hours right now, but I know those will come soon and add up over time.

Members don't see this ad :)
if it helps i also just got accepted for a position as ambassador of the financial branch for student government which adds some leadership.

Reactions: 1 user
@Mr.Smile12 just saw ur part abt rec letters wdym by archive? I was just listing professors I already have a good relationship with that I can continue to nurture

I just want some feedback on how I'm doing so far.

1. cGPA and sGPA as calculated by AMCAS or AACOMAS- 3.96 for both (got a B in gen chem II during a dual enrollment class in HS)
  2. MCAT score(s) and breakdown. Include all (non-voided) attempts. N/A
  3. State of residence or country of citizenship (if non-US) AR
  4. Ethnicity and/or race Asian ORM
  5. Undergraduate institution or category Low tier state school
  6. Clinical experience (volunteer and non-volunteer)- None right now other than like 50 hrs of clinical volunteering. I'm starting a volunteering position soon though that'll be for around 6hrs a week every week till I apply. I know this is my weakest point though.
  7. Research experience and productivity- ~200 hrs rn will be closer to 600 by the time I apply. All of this is time spent working on my honors thesis. I'm not expecting a pub or poster presentation, but I have received a $4000 grant to fund my research.
  8. Shadowing experience and specialties represented- 25 hrs with vascular surgery and 20 hours with a primary care physician
  9. Non-clinical volunteering- 300 hours at a food pantry and will continue this till I apply
  10. Other extracurricular activities (including athletics, military service, gap year activities, leadership, teaching, etc)- TA for a statistics class, tutor on campus for numerous subjects (all STEM classes), mentor for new tutors, and treasurer of local UNICEF club.
  11. Relevant honors or awards- None at the moment other than the research grant and a full ride to my undergrad. Have gotten deans list every semester so far too.
    1. Anything else not listed you think might be important- As far as LORs go, I'm not expecting anything too good from my PI bc I work with a grad student mentor mostly. If the mentor is able to write it with the PI just signing off, then it would be a great letter. I also expect a great letter from the professor I TA for, and another one from my organic chemistry professor. If I need another science rec letter, my general bio prof would also a write me a solid one.
You're on the right track and by summer 2026, you should have a competitive number of clinical hours. Take note or journal about experiences, especially those outside of class. What were the results of your tutoring? What did you learn from your clinical (and non-clinical) experience. How did you feel? How did you make others feel? How did you handle difficult interpersonal interactions? What happened and what came out of important events for you and others, makes the meat of great essays and interview responses. Having a record of such experiences will make applications much richer and the process of writing less time-consuming.

Did you list this on your application? What did you do?
Well I haven't applied yet this thread was to see how I'm doing so far. This is just an opportunity I have to do and I want to know if it falls into any of the main categories of activities. As far as what we do, its essentially a variety of activities that are meant to help refugees feel more comfortable in the area they relocated to. It can involve working alongside new families for a few months and essentially "mentoring" them while they adjust to life and giving them a companion they can rely on. Helping families with groceries, moving in to their home, etc are other parts of it.

Reactions: 1 users