Am I over reacting?

sparkygalore

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice everyone! Cutting out identifiable details so no future embarrassment ensues :)

Members don't see this ad.

It really sounds like it was a joke...maybe you are too stressed out to see that. He didn't say anything like "she doens't know what she's talking about, she is just a dancer." I think you are overreacting.

personally i think it was just a bad joke... Sometimes people say things that they think is funny, but really isn't. I mean he seems like he supports you and believes in you from what you said in the opening post. I would just tell him that it bothered you and leave it at that.

Members don't see this ad :)
"You know, sometimes when she's talking like this, I have to remind myself that she actually know what she's talking about. I still think of her as just a dancer."

Well, if you look actually look at the comment, you could decide to see an insult in there but you could also choose to see a quirky, joking compliment. I'd choose the latter.

yeah, i think u're overreacting. sounds like you have a lot to appreciate in ur husband (like him doing a lot for u at home). and he WAS actually acknowledging that you do know what ure talking abt. but since it hurt ur feelings, let him know u dont want him to say stuff like that, esp in front of ur family.

as a former "just a dancer" myself, i can see how this comment would be insulting, and i wasnt there, but it sounds like maybe it just didn't come out right... i think he may have meant "wow, she has learned so much, and completely changed course in her life" but he said it all wrong. i think you have a right to be ticked...he did say something belittling, but i think it's reasonable to give him the benefit of the doubt that he really didn't mean it that way. i know i've said stupid stuff in front of my in-laws...trying unsuccessfully to create an "in-joke" about my SO, mostly because i was feeling a little awkward around them and wanted to create some kind of closeness, and afterwards was like "whaaaa?? that came out all wrong"

What the heck is wrong with women???? It sounds like you have a fantastic husband who makes just one comment that doesn't come out right and then you freak out. Waaaay overreacting.

You could read a lot into it. Or you could realize that over the last two years you have begun speaking in an entirely new language that your husband doesn't understand. You didn't speak that way or about those things when you were a dancer. It's a change for him, and he was probably trying to complement how far you've come and how in awe of that he is.

As a former "just a musician," I can understand his comment. I believe what he meant was that when he met you, you were a dancer and didn't know squat about medical stuff. Now you do, and it is still new and surprising. Big Whoop. It's still new and surprising to ME and I'm the one living it.

Give the guy a break, eh?

He didn't mean anything by it, but it made him look like an *** in front of your parents. You should bring it up with him, tell him how it made you feel, and then stress the importance of backing each other up in front of an audience. Jokes are fine in private but you don't know how other people would take it.

Thanks for the advice everyone! Cutting out identifiable details so no future embarrassment ensues :)

It may not be a huge deal, but your husband sounds like the kind of person that never uses his brain. I would never say something in such poor taste about my SO. Why would you ever put down the person you love, there are much better ways of making jokes.

After seeing your comment it seems like it was hopefully a one time thing and you have worked things out. I hope all continues to go well and he can learn to respect you and consider his words before he speaks.