Am I planning on applying to too many/few residency programs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Desired Member

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
With those scores, and that profile, you really shouldn't need to apply to more than 20, and I'd be quite surprised if you don't get at least 19 interviews--especially if you're connected and happy in the Midwest. If you're at all a decent person and warm interview--you should be fine with 8-10 actual interviews, max.

Reactions: 1 user
With those scores, and that profile, you really shouldn't need to apply to more than 20, and I'd be quite surprised if you don't get at least 19 interviews--especially if you're connected and happy in the Midwest. If you're at all a decent person and warm interview--you should be fine with 8-10 actual interviews, max.
Thanks for your feedback. I am from the midwest and wish to stay. Was just concerned about my complete lack of psych ec’s and usmle scores.

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats on your great scores!

Context: My situation may be different since I desired the Northeast coming from a Southern school with extremely similar board scores last year (also had USMLE).

That being said, I would apply to more than 20 and have an array of programs that you seek i.e. those you think are shoe-ins, those that are DO-friendly and more competitive, and those that are reaches who rarely have taken DOs. I'm of the mindset that you'd rather be cancelling interviews than stressing over getting the magical number. With the merger incoming, more programs should be mindful of what a COMLEX score is, but that is not guaranteed.

Last year may be an anomaly, but it wasn't rare to read other psych applicants dropping down their lists significantly. Again, you've paid enough for this degree, a few more dollars for some security is my take on it.

Congrats on your great scores!

Context: My situation may be different since I desired the Northeast coming from a Southern school with extremely similar board scores last year (also had USMLE).

That being said, I would apply to more than 20 and have an array of programs that you seek i.e. those you think are shoe-ins, those that are DO-friendly and more competitive, and those that are reaches who rarely have taken DOs. I'm of the mindset that you'd rather be cancelling interviews than stressing over getting the magical number. With the merger incoming, more programs should be mindful of what a COMLEX score is, but that is not guaranteed.

Last year may be an anomaly, but it wasn't rare to read other psych applicants dropping down their lists significantly. Again, you've paid enough for this degree, a few more dollars for some security is my take on it.
Thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.