Am I still in the game?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bulls88

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I got a D in bio 1 the first time I took it the fall of my sophomore year, but after retaking it my Junior year I got an A. I can't really explain why I got a D, I was doing fine in the class but just got burnt out by the end of the semester. I did terrible on the last two tests and therefore ended up with a D. The grades I have gotten in the premed requirements aren't too great, but all my upper level bio courses (biochem, mol bio, neuro bio, physio) have been A's. My current BCPM is 3.41 and I have 36 S on the MCAT. Do you guys think that a D, along with a low BCPM will ruin my dream of going to a U.S. Medical School? I have done 7 semesters of research in tissue engineering, and I have one publication.

I look forward to hearing your guys opinions. Hopefully I'm not too screwed!

Members don't see this ad.

So I got a D in bio 1 the first time I took it the fall of my sophomore year, but after retaking it my Junior year I got an A. I can't really explain why I got a D, I was doing fine in the class but just got burnt out by the end of the semester. I did terrible on the last two tests and therefore ended up with a D. The grades I have gotten in the premed requirements aren't too great, but all my upper level bio courses (biochem, mol bio, neuro bio, physio) have been A's. My current BCPM is 3.41 and I have 36 S on the MCAT. Do you guys think that a D, along with a low BCPM will ruin my dream of going to a U.S. Medical School? I have done 7 semesters of research in tissue engineering, and I have one publication.

I look forward to hearing your guys opinions. Hopefully I'm not too screwed!

Don't worry, you have a good shot still.

You'll be fine. I wouldn't be surprised if you're asked about that D at interviews. Just have a good answer that includes what you learned and how you changed. What is your overall GPA?

Members don't see this ad :)
Your cGPA is very good, and your excellent MCAT score and As in upper-level science courses will reassure schools that you understood the material even though your BCPM GPA is on the lower side.