Am I taking Step 2 too late???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bmr6819

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I'm currently a 3rd year and planning to apply to Ob-Gyn residency. My step 1 is a 240. I have a few 3rd yr "honors" and all other rotations are "high pass." I have some research experience with 2 first author poster presentations, no publications :( I've decided to schedule rotations in ob-gyn the first 4 months of 4th year to ensure I have opportunities for great LORs, as such I will not be taking Step 2 CK until the end of September. Is this too late? Is a 240 on Step 1 good enough to be offered interviews at a few of the "better/best" programs without them seeing a Step 2 score?

Thanks in advance for any advice. Sorry if this is a repeated topic, but I did some searching and was not able to find a specific answer to this question on other threads.

You should be fine. Your step 1 score won't prevent you from interviewing from "better" programs. You can take step 2 to get it out of the way but you don't need to take it necessarily for programs to see.

Seems reasonable. Of course programs are going to be interested in your step II score but your step I will get you interviews and then when you get your step II back it will just serve to help them decide where to rank you.

Survivor Do

Members don't see this ad :)
I'll be honest, I did frankly poorly on my Step 1, great on my Step 2, had a pretty even mix of HP/Honors, yet got all the interviews I wanted and matched to my first choice program. You'll be fine whenever you take step 2. Ob/Gyn compared to many other specialties (at least in my own interview experience) is really more interested in you as a person and what you personally can contribute to the field than in your grades.

Let me go ahead and second what relocin said. I had the exact same situation. OB will surprise you on where you will get interviews and at least in my case my letters were what were mentioned most. I agree on the statement that especially in our field that there is a greater emphasis on who you are, your work ethic, and your competency than strictly a test score (even though yours are great!)

A lot of programs are starting to ask for Step II scores prior to interviews. I would check the websites of the programs that you are interested in to see what is required for interviews.