Am I the only one?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jjackson

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey whats up everyone. I was wondering if anybody else is in the same boat as I am. I have been thinking about starting dental school this fall, and the more I think about it the more I get scared and worried. I keep on thinking about the pressure, the load, the difficulty. The more I think about it, the more I panic. Then I start to rationalize about if I was able to accomplish what I accomplished as an undergrade, why would I not be able to overcome the hurdles of D-school.

Its not like I was lucky to get into only one school, I was accepted into 6. I tell myself usually that six schools believed in me for a reason.

Is this a normal overall feeling, or am I over doing it?

Members don't see this ad.

Being nervous/apprehensive for the hard work ahead is something everyone goes through. It's important to remember that it's very common for high achieving, smart individuals to have consistent, nagging, yet ultimately unfounded feelings of inadequacy. Think positively and know that you and your future classmates will make it through it all together. Oh, and have a restful summer!

sometimes i do get a little worried and scared, but when i talk to people who have already gone through it, or are going through it, i become more comfortable. it really shouldn't be too too bad. my relatives that just graduated from dental school told me its more about volume than difficulty. don't worry! be happy! you're in!

Members don't see this ad :)
I think being nervous about starting dental school is a common feeling. New environment, new classes, professors, classmates, etc. but you have been accpeted into a field that is extremely competative and you should be proud of your hard work and achievement. I too am nervous and excited to start dental school in the fall but my advice would be to prepare yourself mentally for the challenge ahead and use the nerves to keep you motivated and on top of your game. Do not let the fear/panic of dental school overwhelm you. Good Luck.

I think you should drop out and leave the schooling to those of us who, though we may be nervous, are not questioning our ability or comitment. There is always Chiropractic.

You'll be nervous, that's natural, but don't worry too much. They'll teach you everything you need to know in dental school. It's a true learning process, with you being a peon that knows nothing to begin. Enjoy the process and try to understand that self-criticism is natural and can be beneficial in the grand scheme of things.

Read my website for encouragement. It helps put hair on your chest. If you're a female it takes the hair off.

I think you should drop out and leave the schooling to those of us who, though we may be nervous, are not questioning our ability or comitment. There is always Chiropractic.

I would give you my seat, but obviously you were'nt good enough to make it this cycle (I guess the competition was to much for you). Maybe next time.:laugh:

For the rest of you, thanks for the encouragement.

Dude, I applied in October. The competition aint got nothing on me! Maybe you should spend some time in the real world and figure what you want from life?
I would give you my seat, but obviously you were'nt good enough to make it this cycle (I guess the competition was to much for you). Maybe next time.:laugh:

For the rest of you, thanks for the encouragement.

Dude, I applied in October. The competition aint got nothing on me! Maybe you should spend some time in the real world and figure what you want from life?

Part of the competition is applying early. Having said that, gl on UMDNJ.

I just keep reminding myself that other people have done it so it can be done. besides they want your money for all 4 years.