Am I too late?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vanafu

Reaction score
I'm entering my third year of dental school, and I was informed that OMFS will be my final rotation to end my third year. Before entering dental school, I shadowed two OMFS and was really interested in the field. That interest kind of got pushed aside as I was going through my first two years of school, but now that I have more experience and am entering the clinic it has sort of re-sparked my attention. I never thought it was realistic as a goal, but after finding out my class rank, I'm shocked to see that I'm first in my class and that specialties might be something obtainable for me. My only problem is, I have no clinical experience in the field, and I'm afraid I would never be able to do an externship prior to my 4th year if I haven't ever done OMFS in the clinic. I also have not considered taking the CBSE. While doing some research these past couple of days, I saw that people tend to take the CBSE during their second year. I'm past that point, and now I feel like the timing of my clinical rotations and me having not taken CBSE has kind of set me back from everyone else. I don't know the OMFS faculty very well because I haven't been in the clinic yet there, and my research and publications will be in the field of public health and not relevant to any specialty programs. Have I blown my chance at pursuing OMFS, being this far behind?

Members don't see this ad.

You will need the CBSE, but GPA will count for a lot and you are in it big time with that rank. Ortho too. Externships are there to bolster apps. Yours is already far ahead of others with lower grades. Apply, you have nothing to lose. Most applicants wish they were in your position.

Reactions: 1 user
I did everything during my third year, about to send out my app this year (as I enter my fourth year). You’re okay.

I took cbse feb of d3, you are fine. Start hanging out at the hospital (if you have one associated with your home OS program) and meet the residents/attendings. You will need letters from OS faculty. Most externships are more of observerships other than the big ones in the south (parkland, shreveport, etc), so you will be fine doing them before your rotation.