Am I Too Late?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CompaqQQ

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Stats:

-cGPA over 5 years: 3.41
-AMCAS (BCPM) GPA 3.33
-AACOMAS GPA 3.22
-Residence: Michigan

-MCAT: Pending but assume 30-32. Currently in prep course. Will be taking MCAT sometime this year

Graduated in 2010

*Did well in stats minor which is why I have higher BCPM
*Did poorly sophomore year in 1 semester getting Cs in Biochemistry, Genetics, Physics
*Assuming I retook those three courses and received As my new stats for AACOMAS would be after grade replacements:
cGPA: 3.58
AACOMAS: 3.54

I am looking to apply in June 2012 to both MD and DO schools.

I am currently working in a research lab but feel like my time could be better spent doing some form of postbac/smp program. I was wondering if I am too late to apply to any of these programs for them to be of any use to me when I apply to med school in June 2012. I realized I should have taken my MCAT earlier and applied to an SMP or something this past december/January Does anyone have any suggestions to any programs that may start midyear or something?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I believe the latest you can take the MCAT and have a chance at an SMP is April because people wait-listed at medical schools will start applying around this time. Most likely their scores will be competitive enough to get into medical school without the SMP, but they were unlucky and right at the edge.

You could do something like this...

1) Check what SMP's accept GRE. Take the GRE and apply to an SMP soon for Fall 2011.

2) Take the MCAT in May, get your scores in June, apply to many medical schools when application cycle opens for Fall 2012, retake classes you got C's - this won't count for the upcoming medical school application cycle though, and hope for an interview, all while working as a research assistant. However, the one thing I don't recommend is studying for the MCAT while working full-time, trust me from experience. If you get a 28 or higher on your MCAT, you def have a great chance at DO without the SMP; therefore, saving you tons of money. You'll need at least a 30 for MD schools, but better if you get a 32 or higher. If you don't get any interviews, or even if you do, apply to SMP's around December for Fall 2012. Then apply to medical school for Fall 2013 acceptance.

3) Don't apply this upcoming cycle. Take the MCAT when you can devote all your energy to it and aim for a 32 or higher. Re-take classes you got C's. Apply to SMP in December. Apply to medical school for Fall 2013 acceptance.

I basically. I graduated in 2009, worked as a full-time research assistant from 2009-2010, took my MCAT n got a 30 the second time, I am now applying to SMP's and will be applying to allo schools only this upcoming June.

Best of Luck! Kill that MCAT!

Thanks for the thoughts.

I am thinking of doing what you are doing except next cycle. I would apply to SMPs next cycle and apply to med schools in June 2012.

Seeing that I will have already applied to medical school before I even start the SMP, do you think it's worth it? Of course, we can still update grades and whatnot later on but is it worth it going for an SMP AND applying to medical school the same cycle? I had always thought you have to finish the SMP to make it really worth it when applying.