Am I too old to start?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I agree with much of this. Under the current climate, how does that happen exactly?

I don't have the answer. I can tell you the insurance companies are so entrenched in Washington DC that unless there is a nationwide patient/consumer revolt, they will remain entrenched. Also, Obamacare is putting them out of business slowly, but with the goal of socializing healthcare. We want the insurance companies to die, while preventing socialized healthcare.

Another critical step is tort reform. That would cut the cost of medical care 50-75% overnight. No more needed tests, imaging, exams, admissions purely for "cover your ass" medical reasons. To those of you in practice, be honest with yourself and ask you what % of the tests or admissions or meds you ordered today were basically for CYA purposes...its HUGE.

In America, we practice medicine for the lawyers, NOT for the patients. Its very sad.

Members don't see this ad.

I don't have the answer. I can tell you the insurance companies are so entrenched in Washington DC that unless there is a nationwide patient/consumer revolt, they will remain entrenched. Also, Obamacare is putting them out of business slowly, but with the goal of socializing healthcare. We want the insurance companies to die, while preventing socialized healthcare.

Another critical step is tort reform. That would cut the cost of medical care 50-75% overnight. No more needed tests, imaging, exams, admissions purely for "cover your ass" medical reasons. To those of you in practice, be honest with yourself and ask you what % of the tests or admissions or meds you ordered today were basically for CYA purposes...its HUGE.

In America, we practice medicine for the lawyers, NOT for the patients. Its very sad.
I agree with the need for tort reform, but I do wonder how much it would actually help in terms of bringing down costs. Are you aware of any stats about this in states like TX that have good tort reform that you could point me to? I'm skeptical because I am a state employee with sovereign immunity, and I still order plenty of "CYA tests, admissions, and meds." After discussion with the patient of risks and benefits with a goal of shared decision-making, of course. :-/

Reactions: 1 user
I'm completing prerequisites and plan to apply next cycle. I'm almost 45. Don't over think it. Just go for it.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
When you're 85 and on your death bed, what will you regret not having done? If the answer is Med School, then no age is too old.

When you're 85 and on your death bed, what will you regret not having done? If the answer is Med School, then no age is too old.
Haha my grandpa (from my mothers side) was working at 89 full-time job as an architect and in addition to that going to conferences and doing presentations, lectures etc. So lets shift the death bed to 95 at least then haha

I'm completing prerequisites and plan to apply next cycle. I'm almost 45. Don't over think it. Just go for it.

Some sensible, left-brained accounting of costs and probabilities of success makes sense while chasing any goal. That said, these tend to work for most people into their late 40s, if its what you want.

Making sure its what you want is the more important part.

Some sensible, left-brained accounting of costs and probabilities of success makes sense while chasing any goal. That said, these tend to work for most people into their late 40s, if its what you want.

Making sure its what you want is the more important part.

Well yeah, sensible...planning....using brain...who can argue with that? Just saying once you decide, don't talk yourself out of it. Study long, study wrong, they say, although a med school forum may not be the best place to trot out that particular idiom.

If it's the only thing you can picture yourself doing in life, then you're not too old. If there is anything, ANYTHING you can see yourself happy doing other than medicine, for the love of God, don't do it.

I JUST LOVE YOUR WORDS!

I'm almost 36 years old and am starting school in August. I am planning on majoring in biology. My goal is to attend medical school when I finish which would make me about 40 when I start. My husband is very supportive and has a career where he can literally live anywhere. This would be a second career for me. I'm just worried that maybe I started this journey too late in life. Opinions please?

I hope not. I'm 41 and I'm about to head into my first med school interview (as in, in about 20 minutes!). If I get in, I'll be 42 when I start this summer.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 3 users
I'm 43, and have been accepted to medical school. I will be 44 when I actually start in August of 2017.

Reactions: 6 users
I agree with the need for tort reform, but I do wonder how much it would actually help in terms of bringing down costs. Are you aware of any stats about this in states like TX that have good tort reform that you could point me to? I'm skeptical because I am a state employee with sovereign immunity, and I still order plenty of "CYA tests, admissions, and meds." After discussion with the patient of risks and benefits with a goal of shared decision-making, of course. :-/
Cya overuse constitutes a very small portion of the waste. It's an easy out to point at someone else for the practice quality issues we have. The studies I have read corroborate this.

I'm almost 36 years old and am starting school in August. I am planning on majoring in biology. My goal is to attend medical school when I finish which would make me about 40 when I start. My husband is very supportive and has a career where he can literally live anywhere. This would be a second career for me. I'm just worried that maybe I started this journey too late in life. Opinions please?

I'll be 43 when I start med school, at which point my two oldest will be graduated but my two youngest will only be 2 and 4. But age alone doesn't tell you much since there are others who at 30 shouldn't be trying to go to medical school (and tons of people in their 20's that shouldn't). My family (and particularly my wife) is used to me working 90+ hr weeks and only seeing me for 30 minutes some weeks; they understand this will continue through medical school and residency. I also consistently outperform 100% of my 20 something peers and will graduate medical school without any student loan debt. These are the sort of things you need to take into account. Can you outperform your peers (top 10% of your classes or better), do you understand you will be married to medical school and medicine, are you in a financial place where taking on a mortgage sized education debt is an option?

I started at 41, oldest in my class of 160. Just started residency at almost 45. It hasn't been easy. I decided not to pursue the specialty I had planned on all along in part because of the length of training at my age. If I were younger and less burnt out, I probably would have gone ahead with it. Most days I'm pretty satisfied with what I'm doing but in retrospect I probably wouldn't do it again.

Gosh, surprised no one tagged me for this :(

See, I'm 51 - about to turn 52. No one in the real world guesses that I'm "that" old. Whatever that means :) Genetics has played a good part in my life, my parents aged well and apparently, I am too. Plus, I'm very active, eat healthy and don't smoke/drink. Chocolate is my addiction.

I digress.

This path - the whole dang thing - is tedious, grueling, mentally draining (at times). No one can tell you that you're ready, or wrong to try, or right to try either. There are times, I guarantee you will cry, you will consider - possibly for extended period of time - quitting, you may even quit for awhile - only to come back.

This path tests everything you think about yourself, your life, your value. Oh yeah, and when you're done with pre-reqs, you REALLY get tested on that little MCAT thingermajiggy.

How do I know? Cuz that's me right there. My passion is all about becoming a doc, always has been; life got in the way (coupled with that drinking thing as a freshman, oh, and the dead child).

What I can tell you is this:

1. Not too old
2. Take it one step at a time, one class at a time
3. Consistently push decisions about med school or not med school until the very END of every semester; never ever make that decision based on one test, or one course or one lousy experience.

I submitted my application (allo only) on 6/7. Finally, and with many tears. Tears of relief, tears of joy, tears of fear (that it's all been for naught).

IF you really want to become a doc, don't let age stop you, don't let the naysayers stop you (there'll be plenty of them, trust me).

Last - don't be me!

I'll be in my early fifties when I begin medical school. :)

Lessee'. I celebrated my 50th birthday by taking and passing a Pathology test. I matriculated Osteo, but am not hot on the Poke-ology side. Osteo schools are more lenient with non-trads. I'm MS3 now and have just finished my OB/GYN rotation - loved it.

Your ages are fine. PM when you want shoe advice for the OR! ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
@Ligament

This is a very very thought provoking post!

I'd greatly appreciate your advice regarding my case.

I am another almost 36 yo. I have a foreign bachelors in chemistry and US masters and PhD in epidemiology. I am enrolled in a 2nd bachelors (part time) and have an academic appointment. Will have the 2nd bachelors in 3 years.

I would prefer to get a US medical degree and stay here but would not be unhappy if I leave the country and study/practicing elsewhere.

I am only intersted in psychiatry (may change but have wanted thus since I was 15 so I doubt it). Would like to keep doing research as I am good at it.

Thank you for any feedback you may have. Debt is my main concern and not sure if private practice would be a viable option.
Two things I would say:

1. To make such a change after having a successful career (even though there may be some frustrating parts to it), you must really be motivated about medicine beyond it being just a career change. It must be motivation enough to drive you through the next 8 years. Basically medicine should be a calling for you otherwise you will not be satisfied with the arduous journey.

2. Your past success can very much hold you back from getting into a med school. It is a two edged sword. To overcome this issue, you need to prove that you truly want to do it for the right reasons. There is no better way to prove that than by volunteering your time in a way that shows true dedication to medicine.

Members don't see this ad :)
Two things I would say:

1. To make such a change after having a successful career (even though there may be some frustrating parts to it), you must really be motivated about medicine beyond it being just a career change. It must be motivation enough to drive you through the next 8 years. Basically medicine should be a calling for you otherwise you will not be satisfied with the arduous journey.

2. Your past success can very much hold you back from getting into a med school. It is a two edged sword. To overcome this issue, you need to prove that you truly want to do it for the right reasons. There is no better way to prove that than by volunteering your time in a way that shows true dedication to medicine.

I can not agree more. You really need to fall into love with medicine and be willing to sacrifice money, time and energy to achieve this goal with full dedication.

As a non-tranditional pre-med, I questioned myself many times and struggled to figure out whether I am too old to go to medical school. Finally, I realized that if I do not make final decision and take quick actions, I will turn to be much more older without an answer. "Plan your work and work your plan!" I accidently saw this words from one construction site and I just love it. List all the difficulties and solve them one by one. I am on the way!

Last edited:
Go for it. What's way worse than not doing it, is regretting that you never tried.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using SDN mobile

Lots of folks in my med school class who were 40+. My "little sister" who I was paired with second year (LECOM) has a mentoring program was 51 when she started. It all comes down to your energy and your desire. I agree that your choice of residency will likely be a short one - 3 yrs. So FP, ER, IM, Peds, Psych because once you get done with med school, you are tired. I finished residency at 40 and I was tired then.

Started my intern year way past my 45th birthday. I'm older than some of my faculties and attendings but my age has never been an issue. My younger colleagues are just as tired as I am when we are on call. The only difference I would say is I don't bounce back as quickly as I used to.

Sent from my SM-G935R4 using Tapatalk

Reactions: 2 users
Always hesitant to speak up since I am only one [very odd] story that represents a mere handful, but also feel compelled to pay forward all the help that was extended to me along the way. Take my n=1 for whatever insight it offers you.

Just completed my first year of medical school. There is no place I'd rather be. I am happier and more fulfilled than I have ever been in my entire life, which has been laced with a host of extreme successes and joys (and, of course, some sorrows). Keeping up physically and academically. Many in the class have told me I motivate and inspire them. I am often the one dragging them to work out. To be fair, they are the ones talking me into studying more lol. Yup, some very wonderful, mature young people I am lucky to know.

Just got back from a medical mission trip with my class. We saw over 2000 patients in one week. It was one of the greatest weeks of my life, and I have had an absolutely amazing one by anyone's standards. I could see myself doing that every year for the next 20 years. I honestly feel privileged to be getting this in-depth education and to be taking on this responsibility/privilege of becoming a doc.

Some personals, since they are the backbone of the story: Married for 28 years to my best friend. Our relationship survived the year with flying colors. Full disclosure: it was quite difficult--lots of sacrifice--but we did it. Mother to a 23-year-old, an 18-year-old, and a 14-year-old. They are proud of me and happy that I get to do this. Traveled extensively; have lived abroad. Have already done many of the cool things people long to do (one day). Money is a non-issue for our family, so it's all about doing what genuinely lights our fire.

I am fifty-five years old.
Thank you for this! what did you do prior to this? I am inspired by this and also know I will feel so privileged to be studying anything related to medicine.

residency will be a tough time for you my friend

Actually, no. It depends on how you look at things.

I don't expect it to be a walk in the park no matter what age you are.

Yes, it is tough for everyone but it is NOT tough for just one person.

Not too old but don't bank on getting in in exactly 4 years. Its hard, especially for us non trades with other things going on in our life other than school. I started college at 26 said ill be old by starting med school at 30.... Yea ill be 33 at matriculation lol