Am I URM?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nshams

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I'm Asian-Indian. Do I count as URM?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
:( oh well... can anyone tell me who the URM are then?

ghandi indian= no
squanto indian=yes

hispanic
black
native american

Those are the only URMs (there might be more, but I dont think so)

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi, I'm Asian-Indian. Do I count as URM?

In case you don't know... For being Asian - Indian ,you need at least a 36 on the MCAT.

Also, make sure you are on top of your GPA.

In case you don't know... For being Asian - Indian ,you need at least a 36 on the MCAT.

Also, make sure you are on top of your GPA.

:scared: This sucks - I'm a minority, dag nabbit! & I don't see too many of my people walking around FL :(

Meh... wish me luck on the MCATs then since it looks like I won't be able to play the race card

:scared: This sucks - I'm a minority, dag nabbit! & I don't see too many of my people walking around FL :(

Meh... wish me luck on the MCATs then since it looks like I won't be able to play the race card

LAME!!

^^ Hehe... :D

:( But I really wasn't sure about what URM meant - there really AREN'T a lot of people who look like me in Florida & they weren't lounging around in Utah either.

Thanks to the person who posted the link to what URM actually meant. I guess it makes sense - every other brown kid I know is going to med-school or pharm-school or planning to apply.

Without geting into any type of debate about URMs, etc.. I believe that URM is in reference to the entire physician population on a whole. So while there may be five X individuals in state Y, if the X population in the entire population of doctors is a majority (>50%) you won't really be considered a URM. So granted while there may be few asian individuals living in say montana, because the whole system is nationalized, you will always still be part of the majority in the physician population.

Yeah. I think Indians are maybe a little over 1% of the total US population yet they make up something like 10% of the physician population. Basically you are an ORM, Over Represented Minority.

You would be a URM if say your ethnicity made up 15% of the US population but only .03% of the physician population.

does Indonesian count as URM/Pacific Islander?:thumbup:

That might help my future app.

Asians are only a minority in the US. There are like billions of asians in asia so actually they are considered the majority, thats why they aren't considered URM.

Sorry, but most post-grad instutions is dominated by asians and indians. How many times do you see a asian doctor?

does Indonesian count as URM/Pacific Islander?:thumbup:

That might help my future app.

If its native Hawaiian then feel free to use the URM. Not that it will help you get in all that much.

Asians are only a minority in the US. There are like billions of asians in asia so actually they are considered the majority, thats why they aren't considered URM.

Did you know that there are more chinese people in the world than all blacks added together... This include blacks in Africa, North and South America, Europe :laugh: etc...

are asian-indians really an "orm" - could it hurt to be asian-indy in the app pool?

I have some indian friends who have average grades/mcats and are flipping out b/c they say they need to do better than the avg app because they are indian.

true?

only in the penal system. although, from what i'm seeing on "to catch a predator", that's about to change...

oohh that stung a bit.

hispanic
black
native american

Those are the only URMs (there might be more, but I dont think so)

i'm tired of people referring to hispanics = only mexican american and puerto ricans. there are other hispanics, and some groups tend to perform well (or at least better than their majority-minority aforementioned counterparts) and yet we do not enjoy the advantage that mexican americans and puerto rican (URMs) do. believe me, i've been through the process and too many times i've seen a lower scoring mexican american or puerto rican get by on their ethnicity. i know that to the majority of applicants (i.e. whites, asians), we must look the same to you, but we're not, and we're not all getting the benefit of the "race card."

i'm tired of people referring to hispanics = only mexican american and puerto ricans. there are other hispanics, and some groups tend to perform well (or at least better than their majority-minority aforementioned counterparts) and yet we do not enjoy the advantage that mexican americans and puerto rican (URMs) do. believe me, i've been through the process and too many times i've seen a lower scoring mexican american or puerto rican get by on their ethnicity. i know that to the majority of applicants (i.e. whites, asians), we must look the same to you, but we're not, and we're not all getting the benefit of the "race card."

Clearly latinos represent a wide varitety of cultures. The benefits of the "race card" are overblown. Nevertheless, such are the imperfections of the policies themselves. Tibetans and Filipinos aren't Chinese either. And just because I'm a fur ball with pale skin doesn't mean I go golfing with my fraternity brothers on the weekend. If you're fluent in Spanish you've got something people need in healthcare. If I was in charge I'd give you extra consideration for that alone. I hear you though.

haha i saw that episode of "to catch a predator" what a damn shame....

:laugh: :laugh:

indians are not going to be URMs in medicine annnnyyy time soon buddy

So does this mean that Central and South Americans are not considered URMs?

Do i count as an URM? i'm a skinny white girl.