kpooh

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Mar 6, 2009
Status
Pre-Dental
I thought I was set on going to NYU but after revisiting the tuition fees, I started to really look more into Buffalo. I'm waitlisted right now so I'm not sure on even getting in. Comparing the tuition though, it seems like a no brainer to go to Buffalo. However when I went there for my interview, I found the place to be bleak, depressing, and cold of course (apparently I even went on a good day). I'm from Cali so the weather situation will be a big difference. I'm also worried about the lifestyle there. I've been reading through some threads and a lot of people have great things to say about Buffalo. But somehow I have this little turned off feeling from my interview and just negative assumptions about the lifestyle. Is that going to be a big factor there and am i wrong to dread Buffalo a little bit?

Erhatstil

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 9, 2008
Status
Pre-Dental
i grew up in buffalo, and while its not the most exciting place ive lived, it isnt the worst either. there arent the big city attractions, but the small city feel is kind of nice/more friendly too. you will find plenty to do in buffalo (restaurants, nightlife, sports, etc) and the weather isnt that bad..plus its an opportunity to take up a new hobby like snow ball fighting or polar plunging.

Jun 11, 2009
NY
Status
Dental Student
NYC isn't that much better in terms of weather, so really think hard before u make a decision.

cellbio

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 28, 2008
Status
Dental Student
there is an entire waitlist thread about buffalo, feel free to comment and what "third" of the waitlist are you, that may also help you make a decision! :)

kpooh

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Mar 6, 2009
Status
Pre-Dental
there is an entire waitlist thread about buffalo, feel free to comment and what "third" of the waitlist are you, that may also help you make a decision! :)
i've been a silent observer =) .. found out i was in the middle third so i'm keeping my fingers crossed. although i didn't see anything about how long the list is.

cellbio

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 28, 2008
Status
Dental Student
look at the waitlist thread there is ALOT of information on it. being in the middle third you have a shot at getting in, but i wouldn't be passing on NYU thinking that you are def getting into buffalo.

put any of your posts in the other thread too so it can help others with the same decision thoughts and those that are in similar situations. :)

cellbio

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 28, 2008
Status
Dental Student
also, i have this information posted in another thread but it may help with your question about the LENGTH of the list:

After figuring out I was in the "top third" of the SUNY at Buffalo SDM alternate list, I looked at figures from the 2006 and 2010 ADEA "Official Guide to Dental Schools."

Buffalo interviews 133 (2010), 134 (2006) in-state applicants of which 93 (2010), 86 (2006) are ultimately accepted into the school. (Meaning about 40 are never admitted.)

For out of state applicants they interview 173 (2010), 177 (2006) of which 100 (2010), 86 (2006) are accepted. (Meaning about 70 are never admitted.)

This means to me that if you are in state applicant (which I am) and are on the alternate list in the "top third" you have a pretty good shot of getting in because there are only roughly 40 in state applicants who are either rejected or not taken off the waitlist each cycle (after an interview.)

Hope this helps for those who are still waiting like me! :)

AllIn4Dental

5+ Year Member
Feb 23, 2010
Status
Pre-Dental, Pharmacy Student
Just an opinion but I bet you won't even have a chance to make the decision, I mean chances are you'll probably get into only one..but if you do get into both that is definitely a good problem to have and I would be jealous..... Lived in Buffalo my whole life so I don't really know what to say about it because my family is here so my point of view is alot different . If you think about it though, you'll be indoors 8 to 5 at dental school the whole week so it's not like the weather affects the education you get

kpooh

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Mar 6, 2009
Status
Pre-Dental
thanks everyone, i really appreciate your inputs. after much thought, i am hoping to get into Buffalo now. i would rather be around 100+ debt rather than close to 400. it just makes more sense financially. besides, i would be a dentist either way and i believe they are both great schools. i would rather keep my earnings when i start working rather than still paying nyu back! so i'm really crossing my fingers. thanks again.

by the way, do most students in buffalo own a car? it doesn't seem like there are many transportation options especially with the weather situation.

illegallysmooth

Smooth member
10+ Year Member
May 21, 2008
Buffalove
Status
Attending Physician
thanks everyone, i really appreciate your inputs. after much thought, i am hoping to get into Buffalo now. i would rather be around 100+ debt rather than close to 400. it just makes more sense financially. besides, i would be a dentist either way and i believe they are both great schools. i would rather keep my earnings when i start working rather than still paying nyu back! so i'm really crossing my fingers. thanks again.

by the way, do most students in buffalo own a car? it doesn't seem like there are many transportation options especially with the weather situation.
Most grad students do own a car. I don't know any that don't. The public transportation system is not great.

I think you're making a good decision. 300k is a HUGE difference.

Apr 20, 2010
Status
Pre-Dental
NYC isn't that much better in terms of weather, so really think hard before u make a decision.
I heard the lakes around buffalo cause unpredictable weather...such as a few feet of snow in some areas and a few inches in other areas...i dont live there but a good friend of mine does