AMA has "medical app" contest!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Fleur de Me

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
In case any of you med students/residents are also super techie, I saw this and thought it was cool:

http://www.amaidealab.org/guidelines.shtml

The grand-prize is $5,000 and an all-expenses paid trip to New Orleans for the AMA meeting...seems like a good way to encourage innovative medical apps!

Members don't see this ad.

It's $2500 not $5000 and that that is split up into $1500 Apple store gift card+$1000 AMEX gift card. Also, remember to read the rules because once you submit your idea, THEY CLAIM FULL PROPERTY OVER YOUR IDEA. They're basically taking the best ideas from all over the world and patenting them.

Basically, if it's a good idea, it's a bad deal b/c you will be selling a good idea for $2500. If it's a bad idea, it's a good deal, but you'll most likely won't win.

It's $2500 not $5000 and that that is split up into $1500 Apple store gift card+$1000 AMEX gift card. Also, remember to read the rules because once you submit your idea, THEY CLAIM FULL PROPERTY OVER YOUR IDEA. They're basically taking the best ideas from all over the world and patenting them.

Basically, if it's a good idea, it's a bad deal b/c you will be selling a good idea for $2500. If it's a bad idea, it's a good deal, but you'll most likely won't win.

+1, if you have a good app idea, even if you release it for free (with ads) on iPhone and Android markets you are looking at making way more than $2500.

Members don't see this ad :)
+1, if you have a good app idea, even if you release it for free (with ads) on iPhone and Android markets you are looking at making way more than $2500.

I wish life were that easy, but an idea is not enough, one has to also implement that idea and that requires a lot of time and sometimes help.

Wow what A RIPOFF....

I consider myself computer nerd, news flash AMA most app programmer are the highest paid coders of all computer programmers. If someone was going to make an app worth anything it would be at least worth 6-8K cash...hell alot of decent apps are worth 20K or more.

App programmers normally get paid $80-100/ hr if they are good and know what they are doing. If anyone actually entered something good, Ill hire them, and pay for my med school with their willingness to work for free.

Rant over. But terrible contest.

EDIT: just re-read, they are doing the development, you just need to mock up the idea in photoshop, a much more reasonable deal, but not worth my time...