AMA Membership as Accepted Medical Student Pre-Matriculation?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GaStu1994

A Mixture of Emergent Properties
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Are students who have been accepted to an accredited allopathic US medical school eligible to join the American Medical Association (AMA) as a Medical Student Member prior to their actual matriculation?

Members don't see this ad.

Maybe but why would you want to? I'm pretty sure there are literally 0 benefits to doing so other than you get a plastic card that you'll misplace and never worry about ever again.

Reactions: 1 user
Maybe but why would you want to? I'm pretty sure there are literally 0 benefits to doing so other than you get a plastic card that you'll misplace and never worry about ever again.

I'm interested in joining chiefly because of the membership benefits for medical students outlined on the AMA website (http://www.ama-assn.org/ama/pub/membership/membership-benefits/for-med-students.page?).

I already subscribe to NEJM at the student rate, and unlimited access to all JAMA articles would be pretty useful for me. I really enjoy reading. Additionally, members get access to Netter's Anatomy Flash Cards which would be nice (I'm currently a post-bacc student taking A&P I and II this semester, and will be taking a human dissection course in the spring). While I would not be able to realistically take advantage of all the listed membership benefits, there are several that do seem genuinely useful, and the membership price ($68 for four years) is quite low.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm interested in joining chiefly because of the membership benefits for medical students outlined on the AMA website (http://www.ama-assn.org/ama/pub/membership/membership-benefits/for-med-students.page?).

I already subscribe to NEJM at the student rate, and unlimited access to all JAMA articles would be pretty useful for me. I really enjoy reading. Additionally, members get access to Netter's Anatomy Flash Cards which would be nice (I'm currently a post-bacc student taking A&P I and II this semester, and will be taking a human dissection course in the spring). While I would not be able to realistically take advantage of all the listed membership benefits, there are several that do seem genuinely useful, and the membership price ($68 for four years) is quite low.

If you actually read JAMA every week, I suppose the cost would be worth it for that (for me they just kind of piled up on my dresser). The Netter's flash cards are like $15 on amazon / you can get them for free off an older student usually.

At our school, our AMA student rep emailed people like the first week of class to get people to sign up. If you had decided to matriculate to a school, I think it would be possible to get membership, but if you're talking about right now, when literally no one other than ED applicants have decisions back, I don't think that's possible. I think at a minimum you have to commit to a school and plan on matriculating there in order to be a member.

But I'm not involved in AMA at all and the only things I know is what our AMA rep told us last year, so I could be totally 100% off the mark.

Reactions: 1 users

You'll get online access to the journals through your school. The flash cards are $30 on Amazon.

Don't give your money to an organization which has systematically failed in its duty to protect and advance the interests of physicians. The only thing the AMA does anymore is make money off bull**** ICD coding.

Reactions: 4 users
If you actually read JAMA every week, I suppose the cost would be worth it for that (for me they just kind of piled up on my dresser). The Netter's flash cards are like $15 on amazon / you can get them for free off an older student usually.

At our school, our AMA student rep emailed people like the first week of class to get people to sign up. If you had decided to matriculate to a school, I think it would be possible to get membership, but if you're talking about right now, when literally no one other than ED applicants have decisions back, I don't think that's possible. I think at a minimum you have to commit to a school and plan on matriculating there in order to be a member.

But I'm not involved in AMA at all and the only things I know is what our AMA rep told us last year, so I could be totally 100% off the mark.

Thank you for your info/advice!

I was an EDP applicant, and so I am now committed to matriculating at one particular school next fall. I overnighted my signed acceptance forms, deposit check, and all other required paperwork to the admissions office immediately after being accepted two weeks ago, so my commitment to matriculate is officially documented on their end, as well. I'll contact the AMA directly during business hours this week and inquire. Again, thanks for your time and advice!

You'll get online access to the journals through your school. The flash cards are $30 on Amazon.

Don't give your money to an organization which has systematically failed in its duty to protect and advance the interests of physicians. The only thing the AMA does anymore is make money off bull**** ICD coding.

Do all allopathic schools generally provide journal access? I was not aware of this. If so, that's fantastic! Do you know which journals are typically included? I will be attending a public MD school in Georgia.

Do all allopathic schools generally provide journal access? I was not aware of this. If so, that's fantastic! Do you know which journals are typically included? I will be attending a public MD school in Georgia.

I've run into maybe one journal that I didn't have access to on pubmed, and I was able to get an article from it in less than 24 hours by going through the library. You will definitely have access to the big ones, and many of the smaller ones as well.

Agreed. I read about 12 diff journals but access them free via the library online.

I thought the Netter's flash cards were less useful. You can make your own on Anki.

Sent from my SM-N910P using SDN mobile

Any of the important ones will be included.

Sent from my SM-N910P using SDN mobile

Reactions: 3 users