Amblyopia and Surgery

Started by Loststick
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Loststick

New Member
2+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Does anyone know of any practicing surgeons who have amblyopia or lazy eye? I am hoping to find out if and how it affects their work. I am strongly considering a surgical specialty so I am not sure if this is an impediment. I did patching and other therapy when I was young. Now it doesn't affect my daily life whatsoever. In fact, I didn't notice any problems with depth perception on my surgery rotations. Open and robotic surgery seemed fine to me. The only time I had some issues was in opthalmology. For some reason, using binoculars gives me some eye strain.

Really appreciate any input from someone!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad