Amblyopia

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Galaxy2022

Reaction score
I have an amblyopic left eye with very diminished vision even with corrective glasses. I was informed by the Optometrist and Ophthalmologist that I essentially lack depth perception -3D perception- which is important in Dentistry, and that lacking fine depth perception will hamper me in Dentistry. I would really appreciate any advice/input. Thank you!!

Members don't see this ad.

How does it affect your day-to-day? You may or may not be at a disadvantage since dental work is in millimeters, but plenty of dentists have impaired natural vision. I'm lucky to have 20/20 vision but I actually felt like a minority in my class in that sense.

Sounds weird but try ask a close friend or family member to see if you can look at their teeth while their head is in your lap (basically mimicking being a dentist) and see if you can focus on one tooth, esp like a back tooth. That may give you sense of how it will impact you.

• Hmm
Reactions: 1 user
I remember either reading a post here or on reddit, about a dental student who finished dental school without ever letting anyone know that he was legally blind in one eye. It was pretty incredible that he was able to work without letting it limit his practice in any way.

My roommate in DS had Amblyopia.
He did fine in school. Out of school, he was accepted into a residency and has had a very successful career.

Don't think twice about that eye. Go for it!