AMC vs NYMC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AMC or NYMC?

• Albany Medical College

Votes: 12 50.0%
  • New York Medical College

Votes: 12 50.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

MagneticNorth

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've known since March that I was accepted to Albany, and just recently found out from NYMC.

From older doctors that I've spoken to, historically, AMC has a better reputation than NYMC. NYMC has had some rough times, but seems to be financially stable with the Touro sponsorship. I've spoken to some 3rd year residents, and they say NYMC is the way to go.

I'm waitlisted at my first choice, but have only a few days to decide between these two.

My interests lie in either Onc/Heme or IM-Peds. What's the collective thoughts on this?

Members don't see this ad.

Peds at WMC is an extremely good program from what I understand. It has been recommended to us to rotate at WMC for Peds if possible during 3rd yr.

I interviewed at both schools, and I would have difficulty choosing between the two. I liked the curriculum at AMC much better (though it has its drawbacks), and it is nice that everything (school, hospital, etc) is connected. NYMC is a bit more spread out, but in fact its overall campus is probably nicer than AMC's. I do believe that AMC is building a pretty significant clinical education addition, but I'm not sure when that will be done. Match lists at NYMC I think tend to be better, but as others have mentioned on other threads, this is not always a good way to compare schools. I would say both have similar immediate surroundings, with NYMC having the obvious benefit of easier access to NYC. If you think an MPH might be in your future, I would definitely say NYMC. I think they cost approximately the same? From my point of view, reputation between them is basically the same. As for the specialty thing, NYMC has access to a really nice (but small) children's hospital (hopefully you took a few minutes to look at it during the interview), but I'm not sure it would really make a huge difference in this case (and there's a chance you'll change your specialty preference at some point, right?) Wow this would be a tough choice for me... good luck...

Members don't see this ad :)
Interviewed at both places. Full disclosure is that I was accepted at NYMC, waitlisted at Albany.

I liked both schools, but the location of NYMC is infinitely better in my opinion. They also seem to have stronger research programs in areas that I'm interested in, including infectious diseases. Also got the feeling that students were happier at NYMC, but that's very subjective.

Bottom line is that the schools aren't that different academically, and you have the choice of being 35 miles outside of manhattan or in.... Albany.

I have the recent fortune of choosing between these two fine medical schools. It is, however, so hard to choose even now.

I like Albany due to the broad familiarity to my home town, though across the US. The housing set up seems a little more endearing of a significant other and medium sized dog for the next fours years. The curriculum for the first two years seems interesting organized with respect to the themes set up. Anybody care to elaborate about the opening of the patient simulation lab for med students in 2010? With a slightly smaller class size and the exclusive patient population Albany Medical Center and other affiliated hospitals serve it almost seems that a medical student may receive more attention during rotations. The emphasis in primary care isn't necessarily a strong point for me. Not sure how I feel about the anonymity in class rank either...

I like NYMC for the chance to rotate in the city, providing me with an exposure that will help decide what setting I may want to practice in one day. Incorporation of problem based learning and mini-boards might be more direct for doing well on the USMLE step 1...IDK... Going to NYMC allows the ability to rotate in both the city and suburban/rural areas. I am torn with the idea of an MD/PhD as well. Then again the merger with Touro boasts uncertainty... It is hard not to pay too much attention to the match list, which shows placement into competitive residencies for specialties. Would the clinical experience in the big city be diluted by students from other area schools and competing hospitals all over NYC? Or would it be diversified by NYC period...? I also understand Westchester County Medical Center provides burn patient exposure, unlike Albany Medical Center.

I am currently interested in internal medicine, emergency medicine, and neurology. Other specialties also beckon, but I haven't had complete exposure yet. I realize my aspirations may/will change but I currently am not fully desiring family practice, OB/GYN, or pediatrics at this time (more in line with AMC).

Anybody care to comment on this unorganized rant? :) Or expand upon any misconceptions?

Do both make use of standardized patients? Which do you think will provide better clinical opportunities in context of the above? I am not trying to get anyone to decide for me, just bouncing my ideas around because of the time line I have. Thank you.

To the poster above: I wouldn't worry about the Touro deal in making this decision. Concerns here are overdone by pre meds.

Status
Not open for further replies.