amcas 2003: post-secondary experience: DURATION, TITLE

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Yogi Bear

2K Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
what do u do for post-secondary experience duration?

i.e. u worked from 06/01-08/15/01. do u enter June-2001 - August 2001. or June-2001 - September 2001?

what do u put for title of contact person?

X Y, PhD is an Assistant Prof. of Biology. Do I put title as "Assist Prof of Biology", "Research Advisor", or both?

Members don't see this ad.

•••quote:•••Originally posted by Yogi Bear:
•what do u do for post-secondary experience duration?

i.e. u worked from 06/01-08/15/01. do u enter June-2001 - August 2001. or June-2001 - September 2001?

X Y, PhD is an Assistant Prof. of Biology. Do I put title as "Assist Prof of Biology", "Research Advisor", or both?•••••Hi Yogi. I don't believe that for the first question, AMCAS allows you to PICK if you can pick the format of the date. You have a drop down menu, and when you click on it, you will see the months spelled out. so you will have Jan, 2001 not 1/01.

Also, for contact NAME you put down the name, PhD. For contact TITLE you put down the title they have, at the organization you were involved with. For my contact titles, I am just putting down director etc.

•••quote:•••Originally posted by Tweetie_bird:
• •••quote:•••Originally posted by Yogi Bear:

X Y, PhD is an Assistant Prof. of Biology. Do I put title as "Assist Prof of Biology", "Research Advisor", or both?•••••Hi Yogi. I don't believe that for the first question, AMCAS allows you to PICK if you can pick the format of the date. You have a drop down menu, and when you click on it, you will see the months spelled out. so you will have Jan, 2001 not 1/01.

Also, for contact NAME you put down the name, PhD. For contact TITLE you put down the title they have, at the organization you were involved with. For my contact titles, I am just putting down director etc.•••••Hi. I wasn't talking about the format, just the interval. i.e. if it's 06/01/01-08/15/01, i'd put down June 2001 - Aug 2001, or June 2001 - Sept 2001 (whatever the format may be in the amcas application).

So for the name, you'd put that they were Assistant Prof. of Bio instead of "Advisor" for your research project (if you did research)?

•••quote:•••Originally posted by Yogi Bear:
• •••quote:•••Originally posted by Tweetie_bird:
• •••quote:•••Originally posted by Yogi Bear:

Also, for contact NAME you put down the name, PhD. For contact TITLE you put down the title they have, at the organization you were involved with. For my contact titles, I am just putting down director etc.•••••Hi. I wasn't talking about the format, just the interval. i.e. if it's 06/01/01-08/15/01, i'd put down June 2001 - Aug 2001, or June 2001 - Sept 2001 (whatever the format may be in the amcas application).

So for the name, you'd put that they were Assistant Prof. of Bio instead of "Advisor" for your research project (if you did research)?•••••Hi there. :)
In your specific example, I'd go with June 2001 - Aug 2001. Reason being, IN CASE they do contact your advisor, we don't want them to see that your prof said "Yogi finished in Aug" when you had put down Sept. That would be a really sticky position, know what i mean?

Also for the title, again in your specific case, I'd put down "Adviser for Research project" instead of the title the person holds at the Univ. the reason being is that they want to know in what capacity this person worked with you, probably not what they do at the Univ. At my Univ, we have profs who are advisers for a project, but we really end up working for somebody else. In such a situation, again, it would be best for the med school to see "in what capacity" this person was involved with you.

I may be wrong on this, but that's what I am doing. :)
Tweetie