AMCAS and Not-Yet-Experienced Experiences

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fun8stuff

*hiding from patients*
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Next fall I will be volunteering as a peer mentor. I would certainly like to let med schools know about this. Should I mention this under the Experience section of the AMCAS or would it just be better to mention it in an update letter? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

You can do it either way. If you have 15 other things, save it for an update. Or if you aren't in school or doing anything else new during the next year, save it anyway so you have something to send in at times like these. Sendings letters = increased mental stability.

Originally posted by Eraserhead
Sendings letters = increased mental stability.
I disagree. If something's gonna look good on your app, put it on there. Put your best foot forward; don't wait until you're waitlisted to start sending out your good stuff.
Complete app = getting into schools quicker = increased mental stability.

Members don't see this ad :)
hey i was gonna ask this q.

i'll actually be starting something late may/early june. i guess i'll include it on amcas?

Originally posted by Eraserhead
fun8stuff hasn't done it yet though that's the thing

Exactly... So I would have to word it in the future tense... "Next fall I will be volunteering as a peer mentor...", right? And would this not look as good? Of course, by the time they interview me I will be doing it, so it would give me something to talk about in the interview...

Personally,

If you haven't done the work, then my recommendation is not to list it in the volunteerism section. The committee may think your are trying to pad your application.

The best place for your future plans is the personal statement. It also makes an interesting interviewing topic. The last thing you want is someone on the committee to think your dishonest. Remember, your application and LORs are the only pieces of info they have about you prior to the interview. If someone believes you are trying to pad your application with things your planning to do, they my remove your app from the interview list.

I realize you really want to them to know your genuine interest in volunteerism, however taking a chance at making a negative first impression isn't worth. They may be impressed with your ambitions. However, if they feel you are being dishonest, your chances are shot. Why take that chance?

Ex-fix