amcas application question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

muchomaas

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here's what I want to do:

Submit my AMCAS now, since it's completed, to a set of schools, just for the MD. Then I want to take a little bit of time to make sure that I really want to do an MD/PhD, and if I do, then I'll work on those essays and resubmit the AMCAS to a new set of schools for MD/PhD. Does anyone if this is possible? The complication is that if you don't select MD/PhD for any schools, then you dont even get a chance to submit the MD/PhD essays. So if I resubmitted the application, would I then be able to add these essays? Anyone know? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

yea i have exactly the same question...so...

*bump*

I don't know. Just call AMCAS and ask. They have a help line that I used in the past. I found them to be very helpful when I had questions about my application.

Members don't see this ad :)
This doesn't answer your question (and I apologize) but why not just pick MD or MD/PhD (or some MD some MD/PhD) NOW - how is an extra 1-2 months going to help you decide? I realize you want to get your MD apps out as early as possible in case you decide to go MD only, but again, if you take time out to think about it and really confront the decision now, you'll still be on time whichever way you go..

yes, you can do this. if you only submit md at first you will not be allowed to enter the md/phd essays. after that first submission, you can go back and select a school as md/phd, and you will be allowed to enter the 2 md/phd essays. before recertifying your app with the new md/phd schools, you will have to have entered the new essays. once you submit to a single md/phd school, you won't be able to change those essays. i did this and it works.

that said, i agree with anemone: figure out which track you want, and apply to it. i feel strongly that my application was hurt in someways by my decision to apply to some safety schools md only, even if only by my own personal effort. the only reason i would suggest going your way would be with ONE crappy school MD only easy just to get your transcripts through amcas while your finish your md/phd essays. if you want md/phd, i think you'll be best served by gearing your entire app towards that goal. if you want md, the same. besides, if you want md/phd, why would the first programs that you apply to be md only (essentially ruling out md/phd)?

Right, the point is just to apply to a lesser program that would be a low choice for me, just to get the AMCAS verification process rolling. I had assumed MD for myself for so long, when suddenly it struck me that I was just ignoring the md/phd possibility, and some investigation into it made me realize I should put more consideration into it.

In the meantime, I did email AMCAS this question, and they confirmed what itsallthesame said.