AMCAS cares about schools I haven't started yet?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jinto

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I will do a one year master program starting in September08. However, since the AMCAS2009 application starts in June08, do I need to report it as part of my education "history"? If so, do I need send the transcript to AMCAS, I mean I haven't even registered in any course ,nor do I have a student number yet.

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, you need to list the school under your educational history. In fact, it's to your advantage to do so. You'll simply tell AMCAS that a transcript is unnecessary to process your app when they ask you.

Hi Koko, thanks a lot for the reply.
Do you know people who have actually done this? How do I tell AMCAS they don't need transcript?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi,

I will do a one year master program starting in September08. However, since the AMCAS2009 application starts in June08, do I need to report it as part of my education "history"? If so, do I need send the transcript to AMCAS, I mean I haven't even registered in any course ,nor do I have a student number yet.

You could always call the AMCAS help line. I called them several times when applying and they are very helpful. Good luck :)

Hi Koko, thanks a lot for the reply.
Do you know people who have actually done this? How do I tell AMCAS they don't need transcript?
When you finish entering a school, a page will pop up asking if you need transcripts to be verified. Just hit the "no" box.

But yeah, there's some literature on their website that is a must read. It'll make AMCAS much easier to figure out. Trusting SDN is fine for some things, but go straight to the source when it's something as important as an application sent to all of your schools.

Yea, they have a manual for download that explains mostly everything on the AMCAS application. It was a beast to go through, but it will make your life so much easier. You can also call them for anything isn't clear from the manual.

Yes, you need to list the school under your educational history. In fact, it's to your advantage to do so. You'll simply tell AMCAS that a transcript is unnecessary to process your app when they ask you.

Come to think of it, listing the masters program and with all other things equal, you might be given an acceptance over another applicant who has not gotten his or her bachelor's degree from his or her undergrad. Most med schools tend to favor the ones who have been out of college a year or two versus the ones who will just be coming out of college.

Also, if you have questions during non-business hours, you can email them. However, this is more hit-or-miss. I sent two emails, one was forever unanswered. The other was attended to fairly quickly, though.

Come to think of it, listing the masters program and with all other things equal, you might be given an acceptance over another applicant who has not gotten his or her bachelor's degree from his or her undergrad. Most med schools tend to favor the ones who have been out of college a year or two versus the ones who will just be coming out of college.
Yeah it certainly won't hurt an app. Especially without any grades at the time of AMCAS submission.

Hope those med schools pull through for you, BTW. Looks like a pretty well rounded MDapp.