AMCAS Course Classification for 2 classes

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

polyploidy516

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I am in the process of identifying how to classify certain courses that I will need to do for AMCAS in June.
As AMCAS specifically focuses on the content of the course rather than just the department, there are two courses that I am unsure of that I would be grateful for your clarification on:

The Universe: Nature and History which is offered by the Physics department:

The course provides a qualitative understanding of the universe (i.e. cosmos, Milkyway, etc) There was no math but just a survey of astronomy; I took upper division astronomy classes after which were much more intensive than others). I want to classify this as a non-science class.

The second course is "Sociology of Human Reproduction" offered by the Sociology Department; the course had a lot of reproductive biology content and material in it (>50%) which is why I want to classify it as a Science course on AMCAS despite it being in the Sociology department.

Do these seem reasonable? I would be grateful for your suggestions.

Members don't see this ad.

Classify it how you want to and if AMCAS doesn’t agree they will change it. Did you do poorly in the Physics class and well in the Sociology class?

Reactions: 1 user
Hi, thank you! I got a B in the Universe class and an A in the Sociology class; the sociology class was on reproductive medicine (i.e. embryology, etc). Should I contact AMCAS as well?

Also would you consider a Science, Technology, and Society class under the Phil department a Science class as well as we had to evaluate all the science and technology in society using a philosophical lense (but we needed to understand the science first).

Thank you.