AMCAS course name

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wanttogohome

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey All,

Quick question about AMCAS course names that I could not find after a search. Sorry if I'm repeating and I missed it. Anyway, I know that AMCAS states to write the course name exactly as it appears on the transcript (with the exception of adding "with lab" when applicable) but what about un-abbreviating? In other words, if my official transcript abbreviates a long course title, should I write in the actual version (which would obviously not match my transcript exactly)? Thanks so much! good luck!

Members don't see this ad.

write it as it appears on the transcript

First time I applied, I "un-abbreviated" everything and didn't have a single problem or correction. Give the AMCAS verifiers some credit, they're not stupid. They will know "Intro Phys Chem" means Introduction to Physical Chemistry or whatever, and you can write out the latter in the course name. Just be reasonable...

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the response....I understand what you are saying, but my questions is more if the name doesn't fit on your official. For instance:

CHS 1000 Anc Med Renaiss Thought

That's EXACTLY how it is written (no periods or anything).

So my questions:

1) Should I include "CHS" in course number (which stands for core humanities seminar- I originally did not) and

2) Should I write out "Ancient, Medieval, and Renaissance Thought" in AMCAS under course name?

Thanks!

BTW the post above was only in response to the first response to my OP.

Thanks for the response....I understand what you are saying, but my questions is more if the name doesn't fit on your official. For instance:

CHS 1000 Anc Med Renaiss Thought

That's EXACTLY how it is written (no periods or anything).

So my questions:

1) Should I include "CHS" in course number (which stands for core humanities seminar- I originally did not) and

2) Should I write out "Ancient, Medieval, and Renaissance Thought" in AMCAS under course name?

Thanks!

Write out the full name...that's fine. They will easily correlate that and what they see on your transcript.

a sample from my AMCAS:

Course number: PHY1408
Course title: Physics Nat Behav Sci I

Is there any need to write more than that? Nah.

Knock yourself out if you want to, though.

I wrote out the full name when possible, simply because some courses were impossible to decipher and I wanted to maintain consistency throughout the app.

As you can tell from other responses, it really doesn't matter.

For course number, I included the prefix (e.g. BIS 104) but I know people who interpreted course number literally (e.g. 104).

The only thing that I suggest that you don't do is list the classes out of order with respect to your transcript.

What about if the actual subject isn't derivable from the course title. Some things on my transcript just say "Theory," and you can only tell what subject it is if you knew the course number. Would it be okay to fill in such a title? Thanks.

What about if the actual subject isn't derivable from the course title. Some things on my transcript just say "Theory," and you can only tell what subject it is if you knew the course number. Would it be okay to fill in such a title? Thanks.

That's kinda odd for a school to do that on their transcript. But I would say put the subject in parentheses preceding "theory".

"(Subject) Theory"

Might want to contact AMCAS about that one if nobody else on here has already dealt with that specific scenario.

Has anyone had trouble with AMCAS when they added additional info to course titles to flesh out the subject? Thanks!!