AMCAS Error, Already Submitted, Probably Gonna Want this one back

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PrecordialChump

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well, I kinda screwed the pooch.

I sent my AMCAS in back on July 22, and then sent it to my premedical advisory committee today. They kicked it back in 15 seconds!

For the course numbers, I put in just the number designations instead of the letters and numbers (for example, instead of Biol XXXX, my application reads XXXX).

Really dumb, thanks for the reminder, yeah, I think I got it.

I assume that this is large enough that AMCAS reviewers will kick the entire thing back for me to fix, right? I'll miss some due dates, that kind of thing? Or is it seppuku time?

Members don't see this ad.

Well, I kinda screwed the pooch.

I sent my AMCAS in back on July 22, and then sent it to my premedical advisory committee today. They kicked it back in 15 seconds!

For the course numbers, I put in just the number designations instead of the letters and numbers (for example, instead of Biol XXXX, my application reads XXXX).

Really dumb, thanks for the reminder, yeah, I think I got it.

I assume that this is large enough that AMCAS reviewers will kick the entire thing back for me to fix, right? I'll miss some due dates, that kind of thing? Or is it seppuku time?

Probably will be done for a year or two perhaps join the peace corps

So on Wikipedia they say that seppuku requires a death poem...at least I'll get some mileage out of that personal statement.

Obviously a joke, btw.

Members don't see this ad :)
So on Wikipedia they say that seppuku requires a death poem...at least I'll get some mileage out of that personal statement.

Obviously a joke, btw.

I see, I would either call universities you applied or email AMCAS since no one here will b able to answer this

...For the course numbers, I put in just the number designations instead of the letters and numbers (for example, instead of Biol XXXX, my application reads XXXX)....

If you can:
Under the AMCAS main page choose "Academic Change Request" (third from the bottom on the right side of the page)
Check off "Update the following school information"
Put in the info and submit
In my case, changes were made within a day.

Note: I only used the "Academic Change Request" after it was fully processed, so I don't know if it's an option for an app that hasn't been processed yet.

Last edited:
If you can:

Check off "Update the following school information"
Put in the info and submit
In my case, changes were made within a day.

Note: I only used the "Academic Change Request" after it was fully processed, so I don't know if it's an option for an app that hasn't been processed yet.

I can't do it yet, but judging from your experience I should be able to fix it and send it back in less than an additional six weeks? That would fix my problem more or less. I dont know much about the kickback system, but I do know that since I sent it I 7/22, I'd be hurting if I had to resend and requeue the entire thing. Either way, thanks for the constructive help, much appreciated.

I can't do it yet, but judging from your experience I should be able to fix it and send it back in less than an additional six weeks? That would fix my problem more or less. I dont know much about the kickback system, but I do know that since I sent it I 7/22, I'd be hurting if I had to resend and requeue the entire thing. Either way, thanks for the constructive help, much appreciated.

Yes, it can definitely be done in less than 6 weeks. You can also try contacting them now while it's being processed too. They are incredibly nice and helpful. (I was pretty surprised how helpful they were, honestly.)

Anyway, don't stress! They actually respond when you call our email! Good luck.

I've already sent them an email, so I suppose I'll see on Monday.

My premed advisory committee wanted an edited version of the PDF that actually showed the corrected alpha code, would it be useful if I forwarded a copy of that to AMCAS so that they had a record of the corrected classes?

You included the course titles, right? i.e. Principles of Gen Chem I, etc. If you did, they'll probably fix it with your transcript information and it won't be a big issue.

Yeah, I placed those in exactly as listed on the transcript. They might have trouble placing some of the future courses that aren't on a transcript as of yet (for example, one is listed as an "honors colloquium" and all they would have is the course class to guide them.

Just a follow up for anyone who makes a similar mistake.

I called the AMCAS number and asked how the situation would be handled. They pulled up a transcript and the courses, inspected it, said it was no problem and that they would fix it with the correct alpha codes and the transcript. Future courses wouldn't be modified in any way because they aren't important. Everyone that says that the support for AMCAS is nice...that is correct in my estimation.

Now I can rest (more) assured knowing that if I fail to get into med school, it will be because of my stupidity over the course of three years and not over the course of three hours. Thanks to everyone who helped!