amcas formatting

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SpeakLittleB

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
someone who's applying this cycle, do the paragraphs all run together in your md/phd statement and your research experiences essay? I am really confused by this because on the screen, there are no spaces between paragraphs at all, but when i do the "print application" to make the pdf file, all the correct spaces appear again. should i be concerned? because without paragraphs, certainly the whole thing is a mess.

Members don't see this ad.

SpeakLittleB said:
someone who's applying this cycle, do the paragraphs all run together in your md/phd statement and your research experiences essay? I am really confused by this because on the screen, there are no spaces between paragraphs at all, but when i do the "print application" to make the pdf file, all the correct spaces appear again. should i be concerned? because without paragraphs, certainly the whole thing is a mess.
They still haven't fixed this stupid formatting problem?

Hmmm... I think if you do a search in the Pre-Allopath forum with "AMCAS" "Essay" "Format" and/or "Paragraph" as search items you might be able to find a way to force the formatting. It's been a while.

I feel your frustration. It's dumb when you break the logical flow into different thoughts with different paragraphs, and AMCAS goes and screws it all up. You can tell that I'm not bitter; still three years after.

On the upside, we all did fine, getting into schools and all that. But yeah, I remember looking at my essays like big blocky pieces of text I vomitted onto the page. Not really befitting how much works goes into them.. :mad:

Members don't see this ad :)
SpeakLittleB said:

I don't think you can do anything about the formatting your essay.

If its in the PDF then it should be in what the schools download.

I left a line in between each paragraph since there is no way to indent. It showed up in screen and on the PDF.

Yeah Carista is right, at least for last cycle. Throughout the season interviewers had a copy of my app that looked suspiciously similar to the one on the AMCAS site.

My MD/PhD and Research experience essays and the personal comment all looked ok on the PDF, but my work/activities section certainly did not. for that section, my paragraph breaks were non-existent. But you could still tell where the paragraphs were because there were big spaces there.

anka24 said:
My MD/PhD and Research experience essays and the personal comment all looked ok on the PDF, but my work/activities section certainly did not. for that section, my paragraph breaks were non-existent. But you could still tell where the paragraphs were because there were big spaces there.

Ditto. They really need to fix that.