AMCAS help please

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kpxnyc

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey guys

this forums awesome juss fyi...ok so i'm going to go to umdnj's biomedical sciences program starting the fall and im hoping to apply to med schools starting this summer so i could matriculate fall 2008. any advice as to how i should go about in finishing my application? i kno that med schools will have to wait until my grades come out for the program so would it be a waste of time for me to try to get my amcas out by the end of the summer? and if im hoping to get recs from the program's professors rather than from my undergrad profs, should i wait it out until fall 2009? any advice as to what i shouldd do is greatly appreciated and welcomed.

thanks a lot guys and gals

ps. i kno this is a repetitive topic so i'm hoping that this helps out other people too!

Members don't see this ad.

apply now. list umdnj as a school you attended and the courses you will take as "current/future courses". i'm not familiar with your specific program, but smp advisors will usually send out updated grades and lor's to the schools you applied to.

First of all I would still recommend that you send in your app as early as possible. While you may be put on hold at many schools, you will still increase your chances by sending the primary app early. Some schools will wait and put you on hold while others will not. Regardless it gives you more time to fill out the secondaries and get your letters in order.

While it is definitely a very good idea (necessity) to get at least one recommendation from professors at your post-bac/SMP you still should get at least one from your Ugrad. It will look fishy if you dont have anything from Ugrad, even if just an extra letter.

While waiting until 2009 might make your life easier, I think that you could and should be able to get everything done by the time your secondaries need to be in.

Members don't see this ad :)
Apply as early as possible, AMCAS is starting to send applications for schools to download starting on June 21st. As for me, I submitted early last summer and listed for my SMP:
University of Cincinnati School of Medicine: Special Masters Program

Some schools may not know necessarily what a special masters program is, so it would be an eye-catch for them once they look at your application (this is only true if you are indeed in a special masters program and its within the school of medicine- if not just list the school and what specifically your program is). Then followup with all the courses you are intending to take.

thanks for all the advice guys! like i said..this forums just sick nasty when it comes to help..so do you guys suggest that i tell them that they shouldn't expect a transcript and send it in later once my grades come out? and for work experiences, what do u suggest that i put in that? ECs, work, and i also private tutored but that was off the books..is that a legitimate work experience and are reference names and numbers important?

thanks so much again